Homelab ESXI, IP camera build advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

godsfshrmn

Nov 7, 2020
My current ESXI server decided to bite the dust (motherboard perhaps?) so I'm looking to fix that with a new build. At the same time, I've had the IP camera software Blueiris running on an old TS140 that I would like to combine into this new build to save a bit of watts. Blueiris works orders of magnitude better with some type of GPU or iGPU (intel seems to be preferred) so I believe that rules out any Xenon CPU?

ESXI was my old gaming PC -- i7-7700k and it honestly sat mostly idle. It's largest workload would have been Plex which 80+% of the time was just direct streamed and not requiring transcoding. I would like some transcoding ability though. This is another dilemma because I cannot pass through the GPU to both a blueiris VM and also a plex VM. Other VMs were very low resource requirements - pihole, homeassistant, sonarr, torrent, changedetection

Storage is on a separate Truenas server via iscsi SSD mirrored datastores.

32gig of ram is more than sufficient for my purposes.

Would like to find something new(ish) so I can stay low power.

Ultimately I am asking for help with CPU/motherboard choice and any insight on the two VMs requiring GPU and being able to only passthrough the iGPU to one of them. It seems I will need to find a few generations old GPU that supports more recent codec transcoding for plex.