Home server update: LGA 2011-3 + Xeon E5 V3/V4

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
The other thing people need to keep in mind on the AMD vs. Intel is iGPU, if it's needed, and app support of such. As much as I'd like to run an AMD-based home server, several of my apps utilize Quick Sync which is very power efficient vs. buying and running an AMD + AIC for video. And the AMD offering with an iGPU generally are not supported as well, or at all, but many apps we use in a home server envir.

If you don't have an iGPU requirement, and hardware needs are on the lower end (eg. PCIe lanes), then Ryzen may make a lot sense. Especially when the CPU is now discounted, and there are MB options that support ECC and IPMI.

Personally, I'm waiting on W680...

sko

Jun 11, 2021
Those were simple power consumption values, not aggregated over time. (otherwise I would have written (k)Wh)
So with 200-300W average consumption this server uses 4.8-7.2kWh per day.

As GPU are mentioned: I forgot that this server also has a Quadro P400 for transcoding (I run emby in a jail on it). This card also adds ~20W at idle...

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
Thank you for all the feedback and ideas.

oh yeah sure, for electricity cost you need to decide, is the server idle more or under load more?
As mentioned before, like most of homeservers, mainly idle.

But then the Xeon will have more intangible advantages like IPMI (probably), lots of PCIE lanes, more and cheaper memory support.
These are the advantages I also see.

I actually removed one CPU from my dual CPU board just to save on electricity costs.
Here I am clear what I want. A single CPU board providing me the number of cores by a single CPU. I prefer 1x E5 V4 over 2x E5 V3.

I think the first thing you should decide on is whether you need more than 16 lanes of PCI-e or 256GB of RAM. If you do, Xeon V3/V4 is basically a no brainer, since your only other reasonable option would be Skylake-SP, a much more expensive platform with fairly marginal improvements over Broadwell (16 core Skylake is probably 20% faster than 16 core Broadwell, most of which comes from high clocks).
The key of the question is in "need". To be honest, nothing of this I really need. I am talking about "want to have" and I am balancing what I get against costs (invest + operation costs). For me it is fun to have an oversized IT system at home and to do things in a complicate way. It is satisfaction to me when my neighbor is wondering why my WiFi reaches to the garden and my family is wondering that I can share data and blogs without cloud.

My current old system is running and does its job. What grinds my gears since years is its RAM limit of 32 GB. Now I will move forward and want to figure out how far.

So if you don't need every last percent in single thread performance, I still think a 2011-3 system makes a great home/soho server on a tight budget.
Yes, this was the reason behind why I got the idea of a 2011-3 system. More cores than my current 4, but no high single thread performance.

Actual power draw completely depends on the actual CPU(s) used and the workloads you put on the system anyways, and the power efficiency isn't increasing as rapidly with those newer generations as it did ~10-15 years ago.
This is what I had expected and the core of my original question. I assumed improvements for newer generations but no revolution.

If you don't need that much compute power, you might as well look at some of the Xeon-D15xx options (or the newer D21xx if on a bigger budget), which even have dual 10GBit on-chip.
I checked out the D21xx. But all integrated platforms are quite expensive and not much to find on used market.
10 GBit SPF+ integrated would be fine but hard to get. So one PCie slot for my existing SPF+ card.
Build-in SAS also would be fine as on my current E3 system because my storage HDD drives are SAS. Or one more PCIe slot for a SAS controller.

As GPU are mentioned: I forgot that this server also has a Quadro P400 for transcoding (I run emby in a jail on it). This card also adds ~20W at idle...
No plan for GPU by this time. But nobody knows what idea I will get in the future. Spare PCIe slots I will keep in my plan.

Neil Jefferies

Jun 28, 2019
UK
neilstechdocs.blogspot.com
The "sleeper" chip in the LGA2011-3 range is the E5-2696V3 with 18-cores that clock up to 3.8GHz (Wikipedia is correct on this one!). Compares quite well with a Threadripper 1950X in single and multicore for under $100 with reg-ecc support and all the other nice Xeon goodies.. Of course, it is an OEM special that not all motherboards support so YMMV.

There is also the Haswell Xeon turbo unlock hack if you want to try for 3.8GHz on all cores although your power consumption might suffer.

Reactions: richard.dzavoronok

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
The "sleeper" chip in the LGA2011-3 range is the E5-2696V3 with 18-cores that clock up to 3.8GHz (Wikipedia is correct on this one!).
Thank you for this hint. I will keep an eye on it. Unfortunately currently not listed on eBay in Europe.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I was being cautious - I know Intel motherboards were particularly bad at not supporting OEM chips in the Sandy/Ivy bridge era.
first sandy board do not run ivy, because ivy needs modifications. sure, within sandy or ivy you have to have the microcodes.

sko

Jun 11, 2021
I checked out the D21xx. But all integrated platforms are quite expensive and not much to find on used market.
10 GBit SPF+ integrated would be fine but hard to get. So one PCie slot for my existing SPF+ card.
Build-in SAS also would be fine as on my current E3 system because my storage HDD drives are SAS. Or one more PCIe slot for a SAS controller.
Keep in mind that the Xeon-D21xx is quite recent, so you usually won't find used hardware or great deals on those yet.
The D15xx series however has been out for several years now and they can be found as used boards/systems in a wide range of configurations from simple, 4-core micro-ATX boards, no PCIe and a single RAM slot up to fully-fledged flex-ATX boards with said 2xSFP+, additional 2-8 GBit ports, onboard SAS/RAID controllers, IPMI and other bells & whistles.

We are running a few D15xx systems (mainly 4 or 8 core, with 4 or 6 Gbit Ethernet ports and 2xSFP+) as gateway/router/infrastructure servers (OpenBSD VMs on smartOS plus a few zones) and they've been great little machines that can be easily installed in open racks and/or offices because they don't generate much heat and noise. For such "mild-load, low power scenarios" they are simply awesome - but don't expect to build software in record time on them.

heromode

May 25, 2020
Markets are flooded with cheap E5-2680v4's.

I bought 2 for 112 EUR each using price offer from this excellent Polish dealer. Free and very fast shipping with TNT, and packing was excellent. Haven't tested them yet, as i'm lacking other parts, but just by looking at them they seem like genuine server pulls, not shady China stuff.

SR2N7 INTEL XEON E5-2680 V4 14-CORE 2.40GHZ 35M 120W CPU

Reactions: TXAG26

Neil Jefferies

Jun 28, 2019
UK
neilstechdocs.blogspot.com
Markets are flooded with cheap E5-2680v4's.

I bought 2 for 112 EUR each using price offer from this excellent Polish dealer. Free and very fast shipping with TNT, and packing was excellent. Haven't tested them yet, as i'm lacking other parts, but just by looking at them they seem like genuine server pulls, not shady China stuff.

SR2N7 INTEL XEON E5-2680 V4 14-CORE 2.40GHZ 35M 120W CPU
Frankly, I've had more problems with dodgy people/goods on eBay and Amazon than Aliexpress.

Reactions: RolloZ170

SamIam

Apr 3, 2022
Older dual CPU system like Xeon E5-2630 V3/V4 or a newer one CPU system?
Any recommendation for the direction?
I am fine with AMD as well, but I am more familiar with Intel naming.
[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know a good build for windows server 2019 & hyperV with good working Nic drivers?
With 8 to 16 cores.
That is without sky high costs.