Home server Epyc Rome build with Asrock ROMED8-2T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aholmes5

Dec 19, 2015
Love this board and AMD so far - haven't had an AMD processor since K5 days. I was coming from a Xeon E3 v1 for my home server so the performance is simply incredible. I move my Proxmox boot to two mirrored Samsung 970 NVMEs. Got to remove a 10gb ethernet card since the Asrock board has an Intel X550 controller. I have only one PCIe card now - an LSI HBA for the 15 hot swappable 3.5" drives in the front. Everything squeezes nicely into my old Lian Li PC-A17B tower case which is only 19 inches deep. I went with the Supermicro Epyc active cooler and I haven't seen temps above 52C with a full stress test. I plan to pick up an NVidia card for Plex transcoding at some point depending on CPU performance.

I would have easily spent double to get something close from Intel. My hope is this server will last 8 years - maybe get a Zen 3 upgrade 4-5 years from now.

MB: Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T
CPU: Epyc Rome 7302P (16 core)
RAM: 4 16GB sticks of 2933Mhz I had from a server that got upgraded.
Boot: 2 x 1TB NVMe
Rust drives: 10 x 8TB + 1 spareout (1).jpegin (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Evan

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
Nice build! But I urge you to buy some more memory modules and leverage the 8-channel capabilities..

Would you please check whether the motherboard is capable of S3/S4 (sleep/hibernation) acpi states? Thanks!!

aholmes5

Dec 19, 2015
Nice build! But I urge you to buy some more memory modules and leverage the 8-channel capabilities..

Would you please check whether the motherboard is capable of S3/S4 (sleep/hibernation) acpi states? Thanks!!
The RAM is ordered - will be 8x16gb for now. I put in a GTX 1660 for NVENC for the media server. That was the cheapest board with the Turing NVENC/NVDEC. I have no idea of S3/S4 - I don't see it in the BIOS anywhere. My machine is a server and is always on so I don't need this.

The X550 10gb controller has firmware that is several versions behind. I used the intel utility and it had no trouble identifying and upgrading the onboard controller using the linux binary under proxmox.

Reactions: balnazzar

Magic8Ball

Nov 27, 2019
You might be able to ditch the HBA as well?!? The board has 8 x sata3 from the two mini-sas ports and a further 8 from the two oculink ports if you use breakout cables. That would save you some power/heat and free up a pci-e slot for more nvme drives in the future :)

Can anyone confirm that 16 x sata3 direct from the board actually works?