Home Server Build - AMD EPYC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Erick

Nov 16, 2017
Saint Paul, MN
Build’s Name: To Be Determined
Operating System/ Storage Platform: Windows Server 2016
CPU: AMD EPYC 7401P
Motherboard: Gigabyte MZ31-AR0
Chassis: Rosewill RSV-L4500 (Replacing all fans with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM)
Drives: Re-using a few drives I have (4 x 3TB WD Reds in RAID 5), 8TB WD Red for backups, 2 TB Samsung something or other for surveillance footage, 1 TB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
RAM: 8 X Crucial 16GB DDR4-2666 RDIMM (CT16G4RFD8266) - 128 GB total
Add-in Cards: To Be Determined
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 T2, 80+ TITANIUM 850W

Usage Profile: I use this box for three main purposes. The first is a Plex Media Server. I was having some difficulty transcoding 4k content with my old system, a 4790k, so decided to build something better. The second primary use is for a security camera surveillance system running Blue Iris. The third purpose is that it serves as my NAS. I currently have nine Hikvision hard wired network cameras in and outside of my house. Blue Iris eats up CPU cycles pretty good unless you are willing to write direct-to-disk and lose some of the benefits such ash re-encoding and text / timestamp overlays. The cameras all do this, but I am picky about how the text looks and each camera does it a little differently.

I also will be running a variety of VM's on this machine, one for layer 2 VPN access to my home, a Nagios XI VM, and hopefully sometime soon, a PFSense VM that I can use to route gigabit+ internet speeds. Just waiting for Comcast to pull the trigger on either their 2 Gbps offering or docsis 3.1 in my area. I'll also be setting up a full development environment to do my software development from (day job).

For the case, I was searching for something pretty generic and specific. I wanted a lot of space and cooling, no backplanes to reduce failure points and increase future flexibility, support for standard ATX power supplies, and rack mountable. I have a small rack I plan on mounting it in. I'll be making some minor modifications to the case as there are a few things I don't like about it, but that's what you get for the price. Custom cases were going to run $800 to $1000, money I'd rather spend on the hardware inside at this time.

For the motherboard, I really love Gigabyte motherboards and I primarily purchase from Gibabyte. I was lucky to see that they have released what I consider a perfect board for my wants and needs. the standard E-ATX form factor and dual SFP+ modules on-board are huge wins to me.

For the CPU, I was trying to balance cost vs performance and from all the info out there thus far, the 7401P seemed to be the best bang for the buck. Given the amount of cores they are cramming into a single CPU now, I was not really on the market, or interested, in a dual-socket system. I've built them in the past but of course that was over a DECADE ago when two cores on a CPU was a pretty cool thing to have.

For the memory, that was a hard one for me. There wasn't a lot of information out there but I got some help from a few people on this site and decided on what was the best memory to use. I found a good deal on what I purchased and decided that it wasn't worth anymore research time given the minor difference I might see for my workloads.

Everything is all ordered except a few small parts. I'll post pictures and updates as I go through the process. Merry Christmas to me! :)

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Very nice build. I agree that the Epyc 7401P seems to hit the price/performance sweet-spot for single-socket systems.
Keep us updated, especially on the memory.

Erick

Nov 16, 2017
Saint Paul, MN
Here's a small update. Things have been trickling in the last couple of weeks and I've been slowly putting it together as I go. The EPYC 7401P will finally arrive tomorrow. I'm excited to fire this beast up!

Just unboxed the case. This will work well but you can definitely tell it is built cheaply in certain areas. I had to go through and make sure all the screws were tight. The included fans are also junk.

128 GB of RAM and lots of money ready to get put to use. Why oh why does this stuff have to be so expensive?

New fans mounted.

The motherboard.

My little two post wall mount rack in my basement. I decided to move the brackets towards the middle of the case so it would fit in here. Not the nicest looking, but functional, none-the-less.

Pri

Jul 30, 2014
Looking great Erick, can't wait for more updates!

Erick

Nov 16, 2017
Saint Paul, MN
I received the CPU and got it up and running yesterday! I'm still foreign to a lot of this advanced server lingo and bios settings, so learning as I go, but so far I'm impressed. She's definitely a beast!!! It can chew through the workload of my prior server with so much ease, it's ridiculous. More pictures to follow, hopefully later today or tomorrow.

maia

Nov 1, 2017
Portugal
What an epic build!
The motherboard in particular, looks awesome for a UP with all those RAM slots... But they would get in the way if you need to populate both RAM and PCIe with HBAs or graphics cards...
Please do share more pics when available.

Erick

Nov 16, 2017
Saint Paul, MN
A couple more pictures that I took over the past couple of days.

This is how the CPU came to me (wrapped in bubble wrap). I've never received a CPU like this, even with past Xeon purchase. Do or will EPYC chips even come in retail packaging or are they only sold in bulk? It looks like they are packed four per tray and the trays are stackable.

Sliding the CPU in and securing it in the socket. I was a little nervous as this was new to me. I had to push down with quite a bit more force than I thought on this socket to get the screw threads to start.

Sitting it its new home :)

A quick "camera shot" after initial windows install. Ohhhh look at all of those threads! Yum!

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I was pretty surprised too by the huge trays these CPUs come in. Mine were even shipped in two separate trays.
The key to easy installation in the socket seems to be not tightening the screws in the first place. Thread each of them in as little as possible, then tighten them all together. After tightening the first screw with the recommended torque, it becomes impossible to thread the remaining screws.

cuco

Feb 13, 2018
I love that Build :) Especially cause i bought nearly the same Setup last week. Except of Kingston Ram and that i went crazy and orderd the 7551p. Now waiting to come!
Would you mind making a passmark cpu run?
And what kind of cooler do you use? I ordered the NH-U14S TR4-SP3.
Have fun with that Beast!

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
If I may chime in: I am using the same coolers, they keep these CPUs cool (<60°C) and quiet. The best choice in my opinion in terms of cooling performance, apart from a custom water loop.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I have some Deltas in mine, I forget the model number, but they're 80x38, run 5700rpm at full tilt and move a metric crapton of air (scientific measurement!). PWM so they can get quiet too.

Beer_Engineer

Mar 15, 2018
Thank you for the feedback. I decided to try my luck with the L4412 (L4500 minus the fanwall, but plus 12 Hotswap Bays) Hopefully I don't regret the decision to use backplanes instead of just plain drive cages like you.

This means that I will have 3x120MM Fans behind the Hotswap Cages sucking air past the hard drives. I followed your lead and ordered 3 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM. I am confident that they will do a much better job than the stock fans, but I might need to do a little more.. I'll create a separate build thread and post my build decisions.

Last edited:

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Those of you planning epyc and looking into coolers, check out the enermax TR kits since the sockets are totally identical. They are a decent step up in performance over the U14 without having to go custom loop, and you can even find them in stock retail. I have two U14 in my 'rack tower' but two 280mm kits for man-portable cases.

I really wanted to build one but that damned ATX H11SSL board just wouldn't get in stock anywhere for months. Instead I am up to four threadrippers now...

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Thank you for the feedback. I decided to try my luck with the L4412 (L4500 minus the fanwall, but plus 12 Hotswap Bays) Hopefully I don't regret the decision to use backplanes instead of just plain drive cages like you.

This means that I will have 3x120MM Fans behind the Hotswap Cages sucking air past the hard drives. I followed your lead and ordered 3 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM. I am confident that they will do a much better job than the stock fans, but I might need to do a little more.. I'll create a separate build thread and post my build decisions.
2 months ago I had one of the cages in a 4412 give out and take 4 drives with it. Don't know what happened. Looked like a short. I had built a FS for a friend and the moment he inserted the drives, it gave out. I've been too busy to look into it but since the other 8 bays are working and he is currently only using 5, it was not a priority to investigate. I replaced his drives with different ones and told him not to use the first 4.

Reactions: DaveInTexas

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
2 months ago I had one of the cages in a 4412 give out and take 4 drives with it. Don't know what happened. Looked like a short. I had built a FS for a friend and the moment he inserted the drives, it gave out. I've been too busy to look into it but since the other 8 bays are working and he is currently only using 5, it was not a priority to investigate. I replaced his drives with different ones and told him not to use the first 4.
Wow, that's scary. I'd probably not trust the thing at all after that. Data = not safe.