Home NAS based on TinyMiniMicro PC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MyCoR

May 14, 2019
I have a Lenovo M90q Tiny and a USB 5-disk enclosure with 4TB harddrives. I'm now trying to decide which OS/NAS software to use. Ideally I'd like a network smb share to use as a backup for all of our computers, as well as a home server for things like Jellyfin streaming.

I am looking at TrueNAS scale, because I'm more comfortable on Linux, but I wanted to see if there are any other obvious contenders before I install?

Is ZFS overkill for only 5 HDDS?

Does ZFS let the drives spin down when not in use?

Are there alternatives NAS OSs I should be looking at?

Total beginner here, trying to learn, thanks!

*edit: I am not sure if I will run into issues with ZFS using a USB enclosure for the drives, although it should be a JBOD enclosure. I'll have to figure that out

Last edited:

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
You're not going for a speed demon on this build, so throw everything in to the mix.

UNraid, TrueNAS, SnapRaid, XPEnology, Windows, Linux, etc. etc.

Reactions: MyCoR

MyCoR

May 14, 2019
Thanks I will check out SnapRaid and Unraid too. I'd much rather stick with Linux based solutions if possible. I will try TrueNAS first I'm just hoping the JBOD enclosure lets the computer see all the raw drives, rather than adding some kind of layer of abstraction which might screw things up.