Home Lab and Router build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

krawl

Sep 10, 2020
Hi All,

First time poster - A word of warning, I am quite green when it comes to builds

I am currently studying at university and I learn more from doing than reading text. It has come to the point where I need to invest in some hardware so I can practice what I am learning (most likely failing on a number of occasions).

I am chasing some advice and information regarding a potential home build which I would like for the below
  • I want to run a home router; I am interested in learning a bit more about setting up a network, applying vlans, applying different network security mechanisms.
  • I want to jump into the deep end with visualisation - the only experience I have at the moment is running vmware on my mac (so pretty much no experience)
  • I want to be able to run kali images to work on pen testing and various hack the box challenges
  • I want to be able to run a potential media server - I have a box (old now) that has a large array of media on it. It has been turned off for a while and I would like to have access to that media
  • I want to be able to run up other servers where required - for network testing purposes, potential ability to look at hosting web servers for my own use, etc
Pretty much I am looking at running three or four prolonged virtual machines with the ability to run some up when required.

I am chasing some advice on wether or not to group the home router in with the vm set up, or look at investing into two sets of hardware?

I am also chasing up some advice or a barebones list of what I should be looking at for the hardware that will run the virtualisation? I have done a large amount of research and seem to be going in circles. I am trying to keep it as budget as possible. I am also looking at storing it in a small wall mounted rack that is ~300mm deep and standards width. I can always put something on a shelf if required.

Any help would be much appreciated - Also, if possible I am in Australia, so some nice and easy to source parts would be appreciated.

lastly, can anyone recommend any beginner information for virtualisation?

Cheers

istqian

Jun 9, 2016
Fukuoka, Japan
You can get a Server with multi LAN Ports and a CISCO L2/L3 Switch.
All your needs will be OK.

For a server, 300mm deep is not that good. you can build a server. but it is ok to buy a second hand server.
Xeon E5 V3 platform is recommended as it is not so old yet powerful, parts is cheap.

All you can get is ebay. SuperMicro server is recommended.

Connorise

Mar 2, 2017
US. Cambridge
I would go with any l2/l3 switch. It might be either manageable or not manageable. As per the server chassis, you can take a look at small SuperMicro chassis or Intel NUC servers if you are looking for small servers or buy a full-width rack/tower servers, here is the article of the choosing servers for a home-lab, especially if the size is critical - How to Choose a Server for a Home Lab | StarWind Blog. Alternatively, you can try to update your existing old box to have a good CPU and virtualize all things you need.