Home Firewalls - USG replacement

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Roelf Zomerman

Jan 10, 2019
blog.azureinfra.com
Hi everyone,

With the new Unifi DreamMachine Pro looking like a disappointment from customization side (no BGP, no custom DNS zones etc.. as it seems config.json support has been removed), I'm looking at alternatives for replacing my USG Pro.

I have an "older" Checkpoint 4400 with the latest supported OS, but that doesn't play nice with my ISP modem (see separate thread).

So looking for something in the range of $400, not too power hungry and silent.. needs to be fast in IPSec VPN's and OpenVPN (running about 5x S2S VPN's with Azure)..

perhaps something like SRX300 / 320?

ISP is bridged modem with PPPOE @250/60MBps

Last edited:

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
I've moved to OpnSense 20.1 and I am very happy with this.
Testing out the 3rd party next gen firewall plugin Sensei now

-jannis

texteditor

Oct 8, 2019
With the new Unifi DreamMachine Pro looking like a disappointment from customization side (no BGP, no custom DNS zones etc.. as it seems config.json support has been removed), I'm looking at alternatives for replacing my USG Pro.
Why would it support BGP and custom zones, it's an all-in-one wi-fi router that you recommend to the "power user" in the sales department that swears that the Nighthawk X100 Gamer Edition he has at home just isn't cutting it.

Oh, the Pro version which I guess is rackmountable.? Either Way, not features I'd expect on an Ubiquiti, even if included is would probably be buggy[/S]

Sealside

May 10, 2019
Stockholm/Sweden
There is always pfsense. If you want 10g you can go for a cheap hp barebone and add a solarflare or any other 10g card. If money isn't an issue look at netgate official hardware.