Holding goods-what to do?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
I allowed someone from out of country to ship to my address for the Best Buy hard drive deal. I’ve messaged the person a couple of times with no response, and for over a month they have not been online. The person has not paid for shipping yet so I am not sending to goods to them. At the same time I don’t want to hold onto them indefinitely. Any suggestions, etc?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Look up your local laws for abandoned property if you want to stay within the 'law'.

Someone paid me about 50% for an item and planned to pick it up, almost 12 months no pickup.

I'm going to find another buyer, I'll never get the 'full amount' now due to nearly 1 year of holding it and value drop though!! So, my advice would be to sell it when you feel comfortable/can legally.

You've done what you could do time to move on. You don't owe holding something for someone for months on end, I did agree to hold it for 2-3 months though obviously that's well gone now too o_O

Reactions: ELit3 and wsuff

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Write to them, clearly stating whatever the agreed deadline was for you forwarding the goods on to them and how long you legally must hold them for. Let them know that you will dispose of the goods after that time has passed without further notice. Send two copies registered signed for. Once you have proof that they have received it, your case for disposal should be sound :)

Marsh

May 12, 2013
The key word is "out of country". The other party have limited option and choice and recourse.

Give them a reasonable time to send the rest of shipping cost payment.
After the time given, start using the USB drive without taking the actual hard drive out of the casing.
Wait 6 months or a year , then do whatever you feel morally acceptable.