Hold your breath...migrated from OmniOS to FreeNAS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I ain't gonna lie it pains me a bit to have moved on from OmniOS but I was DAMN tired of random network buffer overflows causing the NFS server to 'give up the ghost' as well as recently having an IP SAN nic just stop transfering data/talking on IP SAN network even after bring the interface down/up w/ ipadm. Good riddance. FreeNAS has been rock solid for me so far and I got all the bells/whistles working such as multi-protocol services (NFS/SMB/iSCSI), AD integration, SSL cert for web int, VMware snapshot coordination, periodic snapshot/replications tasks set for every 4 hours between two FreeNAS 9.10 svrs/etc.

Was glad to see open-vm-tools installed and working vmxnet3 out of the box. FreeNAS 9.10 was happy w/ my v20 IT mode flashed HBA's still...woohooo!

Migrated all sorts of data over using netcat and zfs send/recv (had to resort to this as my ssh client from OmniOS to FreeNAS was being pissy)

Anyways, happy camper here! Long live FreeNAS!

wookienz

Apr 2, 2012
Thinking of moving to freenas myself from opensolaris.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Were you doing anything specific when the overflows occurred?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Sometimes they seemed to manifest when I was poundin' array other times at idle almost, was hard to pinpoint. I'd have to dig in my screenshots to get exact error but it was beyond frustrating, sometimes would not happen for months, sometimes a time or two per month, annoying enough for a man w/ out a HA SAN config to get fed up w/ it.

So far sent 600GB VM dataset and about 2TB of general purpose smb shares (AKA, 'the Mrs.' mondo dataset of pictures/videos). Will have to move media over when I can source 6 4tb drives at a reasonable rate.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
Whitey, any reason why you didn't just export your pool and import into FreeNAS? I'm thinking about OmniOS -> FreeNAS myself but don't have the available space to zfs send/receive. I wondered if anyone just spun up FreeNAS and imported. If so, how did it work?

Also, you say that you've joined to a domain. How is Freenas' integration? The one thing I really like about Omni is that I can manage all of the shares, acl, etc from a Windows box' compmgmt mmc. Can you do the same with Freenas?

Thanks,
M

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Whitey, any reason why you didn't just export your pool and import into FreeNAS? I'm thinking about OmniOS -> FreeNAS myself but don't have the available space to zfs send/receive. I wondered if anyone just spun up FreeNAS and imported. If so, how did it work?

Also, you say that you've joined to a domain. How is Freenas' integration? The one thing I really like about Omni is that I can manage all of the shares, acl, etc from a Windows box' compmgmt mmc. Can you do the same with Freenas?

Thanks,
M
I very well could have imported my pools from OmniOS to FreeNAS but I was after a 'clean slate' and wanted my data in whatever pool version format FreeNAS uses. Was not 100% sure if they are both at v5000 or whatever feature flag revision difference they ar at between Omni and FreeNAS so I just used good ole' ZFS send/recv...if you do not have the luxury of more slots/disks to pull off the 'rob Peter to pay Paul move' then you may be better off w/ a simple export/import of the ZFS pool.

FreeNAS integration to AD is sweet, makes SMB priv's a breeze which I have struggled w/ in the past. BTW, didnt know you could manage a OmniOS box w/ compmgmt mmc...interesting.

Reactions: T_Minus