Hitachi Ultrastar He8 8TB SAS - $220 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Note that these drives are out of a Quantum QSX Hybrid Storage system and probably have OEM-specific firmware on them. Generic firmware is usually A### (like A907), shown on the label as ###. The drive in the listing picture shows firmware 7J0 on the label.
If they're OEM, why do they still have a warranty through HGST?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
If they're OEM, why do they still have a warranty through HGST?
That listing says: Warranty: No DOA, must notify us within 30 days of receiving".

The HGST warranty quick checker says it is in warranty until 2020, but adds "While the warranty Quick Check may show this hard drive has a valid warranty, NOT ALL WARRANTIES ARE TRANSFERABLE, therefore this Quick Check is not a guarantee of warranty entitlement."

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
That listing says: Warranty: No DOA, must notify us within 30 days of receiving".

The HGST warranty quick checker says it is in warranty until 2020, but adds "While the warranty Quick Check may show this hard drive has a valid warranty, NOT ALL WARRANTIES ARE TRANSFERABLE, therefore this Quick Check is not a guarantee of warranty entitlement."
I was mostly going off my own experiences RMAing one of my Ultrastar He6 drives. HGST didn't ask for proof of purchase and it didn't have one of the firmwares like you mentioned (starting with 'A').