Hitachi Ultrastar 3 TB for $70

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Toddh

Jan 30, 2013
Not sure how great a deal these are but I needed HDDs for some SANs.

Was hoping to locate SAS drives but ended up buying these HGST 7K4000 HUS724939ALE641 3TB for $69.88 from ebay. Bought 18 for Storage Spaces Direct SANs.

They are New OEM, with 1 Yr warranty from seller. Most likely no warranty from HGST.

Todd

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
That looks like a great deal. In sweden the same (640 instead of 641) is around 250$.
Too bad the 4TB didnt have a better price for HGST. My synology nas reported one of my Seagate ST4000DM000 to have crashed. After repair it shows 1800 broken sectors. Oops. Anyone knows how many spares there are? :D

/Martin

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
They're used drives that had their SMART data cleared. That seller's whole operation is doing that en masse. It's no wonder they focus on HGST, since they run forever.

Some people don't seem to mind, though. But I wouldn't give an operation like that my money.

Last edited:
Reactions: sno.cn

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
They're used drives that fraudulently had their SMART cleared. That seller's whole operation is doing that en masse. It's no wonder they focus on HGST, since they run forever.
who figured out that's what they were doing?

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
who figured out that's what they were doing?

there's another thread out there with this EBAY's userID that states what they are doing. Do a search on apethishouse or whatever his name is and you'll find it.

Used Hard drives, sector's cleared, thousands of hours on, you get what you pay for.

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
thanks. i'll be sure to check around the forum for the seller's rep before considering a purchase.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Loads of folks here have purchased disks from gohdd/ apethouse and have had good experiences with them. Those that did unfortunately get a bad or damaged disk, had them replaced quickly and without hassle by all accounts. I have 8 of their refurbished HGST 3TB disks whirring away beside me right now, that were purchased through NewEgg over a year ago and not one of them has missed a beat. Smart info on them looked genuine when they arrived and they were well packed when sent. I would have purchased them directly, but I got a killer deal on shipping in Canada from NewEgg, so went that route instead. My only regret is that I didn't buy more of them at the time :)

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I will also chime in and say their "new" drives with a one year warranty are just old drives with cleared/wiped smart data, nothing more. So while I do think it's a little shitty they try to say they are new drives, I have bought from them many times. You just have to understand upfront that your buying used drives with cleared smart data. You might get good ones and you might get bad ones.

Now with that being said, out of the 50 or so drives I have bought from them, I've had maybe 10-12 bad ones that started showing bad sectors right away and the counts were climbing like crazy. I emailed them with the serial numbers and received my prepaid label within hours. Sent them back 2 day priority mail and received my replacements the same week.

So do think it's BS they sell wiped drives as new? Hell yes. But they also stand behind their warranty. My opinion is they have a superior warranty/return/exchange experience compared to WD/Seagate/Toshiba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Last edited:
Reactions: Flintstone

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
I ended up returning the 4 that I purchased because they overheated and were making weird click noise. Yup they sell them as NEW but are just used with cleared SMART data. If it works for you fine but I don't trust anyone that clearly erases any track of hdd history. It might work for you but they might die sooner than expected so pro's and con's.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
So do think it's BS they sell wiped drives as new? Hell yes. But they also stand behind their warranty. My opinion is they have a superior warranty/return/exchange experience compared to WD/Seagate/Toshiba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Problem is, their 1 year "warranty" is rolling the dice on them not suddenly packing up and disappearing in the middle of the night. They seem nervously and overly responsive to squeaky wheels and complaints, because their operation hinges on keeping the ruse going without negative-feedback backlash or bad word of mouth getting the wrong peoples' attention. If you directly ask about SMART being wiped or defect lists being cleared, they play dumb.

It's like if a company was selling used Toyota's as "New" after resetting the odometer, and for the first year have "really great customer service" and replace the car if you complain. Obviously there are laws against resetting car odometers, but harddisks are grey area - point is the practice is still dishonest and deceptive.

It's up to the individual whether they want to give an operation like that their money. Just don't complain if they suddenly disappear without a trace.

Last edited:
Reactions: ServerSemi

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
Exactly. They play dumb and offer partial refunds likely to keep people quiet. There is nothing wrong about selling refurbs/used hdd why don't you list them as such? stop preying on people that have no clue about these things.

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Problem is, their 1 year "warranty" is rolling the dice on them not suddenly packing up and disappearing in the middle of the night. They seem nervously and overly responsive to squeaky wheels and complaints, because their operation hinges on keeping the ruse going without negative-feedback backlash or bad word of mouth getting the wrong peoples' attention. If you directly ask about SMART being wiped or defect lists being cleared, they play dumb.

It's like if a company was selling used Toyota's as "New" after resetting the odometer, and for the first year have "really great customer service" and replace the car if you complain. Obviously there are laws against resetting car odometers, but harddisks are grey area - point is the practice is still dishonest and deceptive.

It's up to the individual whether they want to give an operation like that their money. Just don't complain if they suddenly disappear without a trace.
they've been around a LONG time. I've got a mess of 10k Velociraptors that have been spinning maybe 5 years?

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
Don't pay above $60 for a 3TB HGST. I just grabbed 20 drives from a UK seller at about $59 ea. Last time I bought 3TB was from terasci - also a good seller (US). Look at 4TB at around $85

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I too have had good experience with them, both the drives and the warranty. I will continue to buy from them irregardless of what others think. To each his own.

Reactions: CyberSkulls