Hitachi Harddisks Thread (5K3000, 7K3000, 7K2000)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

knubbze

Jun 13, 2013
Hello,

I recently purchased 4 HGST Deskstar 5K4000s (2 each from 2 different vendors). I chose this model because of their excellent failure rate statistics at Backblaze's reports, and the lower ~5400RPM speed, as they will all be running side-by-side in a HP Microserver, so I figured they'd run cooler, and possibly last longer than the 7200RPM 7K4000s.

Two of them were boxed, retail units from 'B & H': these ones have model number HMS5C4040ALE64, which I believe are actually 'MegaScale 4000' enterprise drives(?); manufacture date October 2014. I am slightly annoyed by this, as they are boxed and sold as Deskstars, and I noticed that the MegaScale units have a slightly worse failure rate in the most recent Backblaze statistics (1.4% for the MegaScale 4000 vs 0.9% for the Deskstar 5K4000). Should I be concerned?

The other two drives were OEM units from an online IT retailer, and have the model number HDS5C4040ALE630; with manufacture date March 2013.

All of them have firmware version 580 installed, and I was wondering if there are any newer firmwares available, and if so, what are the differences?

Many thanks,

Knubbze

Last edited:

Mark

Nov 6, 2014
Hi,

Trying to find the latest firmware for a 2TB 7K3000 HUA723020ALA641. Can anyone assist? I see HUA723020ALA640 listed in this thread but I'm not certain it will work with my drive.

Thanks
-Mark

cegha04

May 21, 2015
Ok I'm new here looking for some help. So my situation is that I have 4 HUA723020ALA640 P/N-0F12455 FW-A10.

Now on ebay I can find my same model # of HUA723020ALA640, but they have a different P/N-0F15107 & FW-6T0.

I need these additional HDs to expand a RAID 10 size, & a few to have for on hand spares. I'm trying to make sure that the P/N isn't going to make any difference & that I could flash the FW from 6T0 to A10. Does anyone have the proper firmware for the 2TB HUA723020ALA640 P/N-0F12455 FW-A10 & would this work?

Does anyone know why the same model HD has 2 different P/Ns? Also this is more of a stretch but does anyone know if I could mix ALA641's with the ALA640's, without problems? I will probably still go with ALA640's flashed to A10 over mix and match ALA 640's & ALA641's, but just wanted to ask.

Thanks for any help on this.

Hi,

Trying to find the latest firmware for a 2TB 7K3000 HUA723020ALA641. Can anyone assist? I see HUA723020ALA640 listed in this thread but I'm not certain it will work with my drive.

Thanks
-Mark
I looked previously back through this thread & believe the link to the firmware for the model I need is dead. Can I get a repost?

Last edited:

Rain

May 13, 2013
Hello,

I recently purchased 4 HGST Deskstar 5K4000s (2 each from 2 different vendors). I chose this model because of their excellent failure rate statistics at Backblaze's reports, and the lower ~5400RPM speed, as they will all be running side-by-side in a HP Microserver, so I figured they'd run cooler, and possibly last longer than the 7200RPM 7K4000s.

Two of them were boxed, retail units from 'B & H': these ones have model number HMS5C4040ALE64, which I believe are actually 'MegaScale 4000' enterprise drives(?); manufacture date October 2014. I am slightly annoyed by this, as they are boxed and sold as Deskstars, and I noticed that the MegaScale units have a slightly worse failure rate in the most recent Backblaze statistics (1.4% for the MegaScale 4000 vs 0.9% for the Deskstar 5K4000). Should I be concerned?

The other two drives were OEM units from an online IT retailer, and have the model number HDS5C4040ALE630; with manufacture date March 2013.

All of them have firmware version 580 installed, and I was wondering if there are any newer firmwares available, and if so, what are the differences?

Many thanks,

Knubbze
Knubbze, did you ever figure out anything else regarding this?

I'm considering picking up some 5K4000s, and B&H seems to be the only place to get them right now in the States. I don't really want to buy them if they are all going to be either the wrong model and/or manufactures years ago.

Also, does anyone have experience w/ disabling spin down on the 5K4000 "coolspin" drives? Will `hdparm -B 255` work? Can anyone provide some SMART stats (power on hours, power cycle count, and load cycle count) to confirm that it works?

Rain

May 13, 2013
Nope, still waiting for a reply...
That's unfortunate.

I ended up purchasing some HGST 4TB NAS drives. They've only been spinning a few weeks now, but I'm quite happy with them.

I can't figure out how to disable spindown on em' though! hdparm -B 255 (or 254) doesn't seem to do it, nor did writing random data to a sufficiently large file on the array every minute. The load cycle count continues to slowly rise (1 or 2 per day, it seems). Anyone know how to disable any and all power saving features on HGST's drives? Maybe I should have just got the regular HGST 4TB drives instead, its probably baked into the NAS firmware...

VintageDon

Jul 11, 2015
Morning All:

Was just wondering. A few pages back, someone had picked up a the HP version of the 0F10452 that was the HP version that had been flashed with the HP firmware. They were going to cross-flash it with the original Hitachi firmware. The drive arrived failing and they never did it.

I picked up a couple of dozen of these off eBay at a great price for a 24 drive RAID6 I'm doing. However, these drives are labeled as 2TB 0F10452's, but the listing states they are HP firmware flashed and are recognized as 1TB drives.

Anyone worked with any of these, and know if they can be cross-flashed back to 2TB? I've never heard of a company flashing capacity DOWN, unless it's to have tons of extra sectors to reallocate for longer life.

Thoughts?

As Always,
VintageDon

PS: If they stay at 1TB, I'm good with that ... the price was good for even 1TB (it would be fantastic for 2TBs). I did order an extra to play with, so I have a "disposable" drive to try it on if nothing else.

pogi

Oct 23, 2015
Firmware A10 for Hitachi 7K3000 2TB HDS723020BLA642 (0F12115):
DOS version: MEGA
Windows version (HiTest 2.47S flasher for WinXP 32bit or Win7 32bit/64bit): MEGA
Please report back, how did it go ?
Hello kryptex!

Do you have the A10 (or A800) firmware for Hitachi 7k3000 1.5TB HDS723015BLA642 maybe (or is the 2TB firmware usable for 1.5TB HDD)?
Thank's in advance!

kryptex

May 13, 2011
The 5C0 firmware for Hitachi 7K3000 2TB also works on the 1.5TB version. But I don't know if firmware A10 (or 800) that I posted above for 2TB would also work on the 1.5TB. I haven't tried.

Mr. Studz

Nov 21, 2015
Just wanted to say a quick thank you to all the guys chipping in on this thread, i updated my 7k4000 drives to latest firmware for an array and they are now sleeping nicely when inactive.

For those of you having trouble getting HiTool to detect the drive in windows here are the headaches/solutions:
  1. Back dat shit up! I mean it, before you do anything!
  2. DON'T try to use a silicon image raid controller to detect the drive, SI chips are not supported (wasted 2 hrs, it's stated in the manual)
  3. If using mobo, drive should be on SATA0 & set to legacy (ata/ide) mode in the BIOS, not AHCI. Many motherboards have trouble booting into mixed AHCI/Legacy modes you may need an older system to get things detecting, with the OS booting from a drive running legacy mode as well. I used an older Lenovo with SATA 150 ports running XP 32bit, detected instantly.
  4. If all else fails, you can pick up one of the cheap highpoint rocket raid pci cards that are stated as supported in the manual for very cheap.
  5. Once detected, the drive may be in a frozen state:
  • Option A : Set the computer to hibernate, (deepest sleep possible) then bring back online to clear frozen.
  • Option B : This is somewhat dangerous, quite literally unplug the power cable to the drive and plug it back in while system is booted. Make sure there isn't important data on the drive before attempting this as a last resort. The machine i did this on DID NOT support hot swap SATA drives, yet it worked fine but YMMV. Careful! See step 1 above.
Peace out homeys and thanks again for the firmware and flash tools, why MFG's make this process such a nightmare i just don't understand.

knubbze

Jun 13, 2013
Just wanted to say a quick thank you to all the guys chipping in on this thread, i updated my 7k4000 drives to latest firmware for an array and they are now sleeping nicely when inactive.

For those of you having trouble getting HiTool to detect the drive in windows here are the headaches/solutions:
  1. Back dat shit up! I mean it, before you do anything!
  2. DON'T try to use a silicon image raid controller to detect the drive, SI chips are not supported (wasted 2 hrs, it's stated in the manual)
  3. If using mobo, drive should be on SATA0 & set to legacy (ata/ide) mode in the BIOS, not AHCI. Many motherboards have trouble booting into mixed AHCI/Legacy modes you may need an older system to get things detecting, with the OS booting from a drive running legacy mode as well. I used an older Lenovo with SATA 150 ports running XP 32bit, detected instantly.
  4. If all else fails, you can pick up one of the cheap highpoint rocket raid pci cards that are stated as supported in the manual for very cheap.
  5. Once detected, the drive may be in a frozen state:
  • Option A : Set the computer to hibernate, (deepest sleep possible) then bring back online to clear frozen.
  • Option B : This is somewhat dangerous, quite literally unplug the power cable to the drive and plug it back in while system is booted. Make sure there isn't important data on the drive before attempting this as a last resort. The machine i did this on DID NOT support hot swap SATA drives, yet it worked fine but YMMV. Careful! See step 1 above.
Peace out homeys and thanks again for the firmware and flash tools, why MFG's make this process such a nightmare i just don't understand.
What is this array firmware, and is it available for the 5K4000?

Chris83

Dec 2, 2015
hi,
i need the latest firmware for the model HUA723020ALA641 (0F12470).
thanks.

Last edited:

Vivacandia

Dec 31, 2015
Hi all

Please can someone repost theses firmwares:

Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2 TB
Firmware 800
and
Deskstar 7K4000 HDS724040ALE640 4tb

Ultrastar 7k4000 HUS724040ALE640 4tb

Thanks in advance
Sry for my English (french)

Ilendhir

Mar 1, 2016
Hi there.
I bought a batch of 7 new ( 2012 ) 0F12470 drives with firmware 740 and am having trouble with 1.5gb link-negotitaion on a HP SAS Expander connected to a P410 Controller with 1GB FBWC. I´m hoping a firmwareupdate resolves this.
I´ll be very happy if anybody can provide newer firmware and flashing tool for these drives.

I looked through all 20 pages in this thread and all the links for the firmwares for HUA723020ALA641( 0F12470 ) are dead.
I don´t even know what firmware is the newest and by what i am Reading about the Hitachi willingness to provide firmware i rather ask you guys.

Thank you,
Jeroen