Hitachi Harddisks Thread (5K3000, 7K3000, 7K2000)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jun 1, 2012
You sir ... you are a hero today!

This right here was the problem. As soon as I turned AHCI off it came up like butter and worked ****ing PERFECTLY! You don't even know how insanely happy this just made me.. I still don't know if having everything downgraded to fw 800 will work with the Areca, but right now just getting the firmware on the drives has made me feel like I found the lost city of Atlantas, had a 3 way with Jennifer Connelly and Jessica Alba, and won the Olympics (for the last 50 years in a row). Overkill? Maybe, but so worth it!

So, one point of fact btw, A10 is indeed newer than 800, however 800 was flashed onto the drive quite successully! I will confirm that the Areca see's the same when I finish flashing the rest of this chassis.

Thank you again 1010!

TT
Glad you were able to solve your issue. That's interesting you were able to downgrade. I'd been told previously on more than one occasion by support that version control prevents downgrading on Hitachi products. I'd never personally tried to downgrade firmware on consumer grade or enterprise drives from Hitachi.

If you still encounter issues with compatibility you probably should contact Areca as well. If the drive model is listed as compatible, Areca could probably include a fix in their development branch.

Last edited:

TerroristTate

Jul 26, 2012
Glad you were able to solve your issue. That's interesting you were able to downgrade. I'd been told previously on more than one occasion by support that version control prevents downgrading on Hitachi products. I'd never personally tried to downgrade firmware on consumer grade or enterprise drives from Hitachi.

If you still encounter issues with compatibility you probably should contact Areca as well. If the drive model is listed as compatible, Areca could probably include a fix in their development branch.
Yeah the downgrade still hasn't fixed the problem, it would appear that the Areca card may have gone bad? Not really sure at this point tbh. Emailed Areca though and I will be working that out soon.

kryptex

May 13, 2011
I'll chime in...
The downgrade definitely works on Hitachi drives. I did flash between 3EA and 3MA firmwares some of my 7K2000 drives. Haven't tried on 7K3000 yet, but most probably works.

TerroristTate, I had a few questions for you... Would you reply ? e.g. the part numbers (P/N) of the A10 and 800 firmware drives, are different ?

TerroristTate

Jul 26, 2012
I'll chime in...
The downgrade definitely works on Hitachi drives. I did flash between 3EA and 3MA firmwares some of my 7K2000 drives. Haven't tried on 7K3000 yet, but most probably works.

TerroristTate, I had a few questions for you... Would you reply ? e.g. the part numbers (P/N) of the A10 and 800 firmware drives, are different ?
Kryp: The PN's on the drives are all identical. I will double check them when I go in today, I upgraded the FW on the Areca card to 1.5 as well, still doesn't to work.

TT

cgcatle

Aug 5, 2012
Hitachi 7K3000 2TB Drives on Sale at Fry's

Hitachi 7K3000 2TB drives are on sale at Fry's until Thursday, Aug. 9. These are model HDS723020BLA642, part number 0F012155. They are in a retail box with Hitachi part number 0S02861. Fry's is showing them as 32MB buffer, but the boxes on the shelf show 64BM buffer. The Fry's item number is #5947254. I picked up four and they are working fine. Two had FW 800 manufactured in ARP 2012 and two had FW 5C0 manufactured in OCT 2011. I updated these last two to FW 800.
http://www.frys.com/product/5947254

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
I can finally chip in to this thread, just got 6x 2TB 7k2000's cheers Odditory.
Crikey these babies run hot.
Had to improvise a fan to keep these puppies from melting through the case :)

Very impressed with performance from them especially when RAID'd up on the M5015

Last edited:

kryptex

May 13, 2011
Yeah, 7K2000's are hot. 5 platters... They are made to work up to 60 deg. C, if you check the specs, but I have several of them attaining 65-67 degrees... no problems whatsoever.
Good, reliable drives.

kryptex

May 13, 2011
Yeah, 7K2000's are hot. 5 platters... They are made to work up to 60 deg. C, if you check the specs, but I have several of them attaining 65-67 degrees... no problems whatsoever.
Good, reliable drives.

TerroristTate

Jul 26, 2012
So, just as a followup. The problem I was having is still happening. I managed to finally downgrade the drives to FW 800 (or that is at least what the flash utility said they were when they finished ((I even double checked by putting the drives back in and rebooting and trying to flash them again))).

Unfortunately it didn't work. The drives still act the same way with the controller, so either the firmware flash doesn't set it back to exactly what a 800 FW drive would look like to a controller or there have been hardware changes or something. Now, Hitachi is a corporation, and probably a lazy one, so I would guess the hardware hasn't changed, unless maybe these drives came from a different plant? Unlikely. The more likely answer seems to be that the firmware isn't really identical, there is also a MLC label on the drive that is different between firmware versions and that may have a lot to do with it as well.

Either way I am literally sitting here in limbo with that server, unable to do anything until Areca updates their firmware to get back to compatible with these drives and their new FW... Wonder if that will actually happen.

TT

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Any current experiences with RMAs and what you get in return? Lost a 7K2000 tonight. Isn't seen by BIOS and doesn't feel like it is spinning up.

Been a rough week for me; first my laptop HDD died(nice grinding sound), ram slot died in my desktop and now the Hitachi.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Any current experiences with RMAs and what you get in return? Lost a 7K2000 tonight. Isn't seen by BIOS and doesn't feel like it is spinning up.

Been a rough week for me; first my laptop HDD died(nice grinding sound), ram slot died in my desktop and now the Hitachi.
Haven't had one lately. A WD Green died yesterday though.

BTW - Care package is in my garage to help with Infiniband and the mobo issue. Awaiting a large enough transport vehicle.

DeGlucker

Oct 17, 2012
Moscow, Russia
So, if you have Hitachi drives connected to Adaptec raid controller (in my case this is Adaptec 52445) you can update Hitachi's FW using Adaptec Storage Manager. I've successfully updated all my three 3TB 7K3000 drives to 800 from 5C0 version.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010

Yes, I sent a 7K2000 2TB in just as a test (wasn't actually broken) a few weeks ago and got a 7K3000 2TB (6Gbps) in return.

ekotan

Oct 23, 2012
Some of my older Hitachi Ultrastar HUA722020ALA330 2TB disks have firmware revision JKAONA00. I haven't seen this A00 revision mentioned here in this thread; and trying to upgrade to a more recent revision such as 3EA or 3MA using the DOS utility fails. Hitachi support didn't know what to do. Any ideas?

Egor

Oct 26, 2012
Hello guys!
I have a problem with my mobo described here.
Perhaps firmware update will resolve my problem.
So I have 3 Hitachi HDDs 7K3000 series:
1 drive HDS723015BLA642 (0F12114), firmware MN5OA580
2 drives HDS723020BLA642 (0F12115), firmware MN6OA5C0

Can i use one of these links provided here to update firmware of my drives to 800?
https://apps.hitachibackup.com/d/?3NX6ZM7R
https://apps.hitachibackup.com/d/?LWRU2PUS

Thank you in advance for your help!

Egor

Oct 26, 2012
Some of my older Hitachi Ultrastar HUA722020ALA330 2TB disks have firmware revision JKAONA00. I haven't seen this A00 revision mentioned here in this thread; and trying to upgrade to a more recent revision such as 3EA or 3MA using the DOS utility fails. Hitachi support didn't know what to do. Any ideas?
have you booted up your computer from an external drive (USB Flash or CD)?
have you switched your HDD controller to IDE mode instead of RAID/AHCI?