Hitachi 3tb error checking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

halkx

May 21, 2011
Hi

I would like to know if there is any tool to check 3tb disks from Hitachi like drive fitness tool(ie. Outside windows)

Michael

halkx

May 21, 2011
drive fitness tool (DFT) is a utility from hitachi for disks up to 2tb to check the consistency of the disk, but it doesn't work with 3tb ones..

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Hi Michael, run an Error Scan in HDTune, that will check every sector. That's what I do with new Hitachi's as soon as I take them out of the box. No need to run windows disk management to initialize or partition the drive first, HDTune works at the disk level. If you see any bad sectors and its a brand new drive, I would exchange it.

www.HDTune.com

Last edited:

halkx

May 21, 2011
ah...thanks

so no equivalent of DFT for 3TB drives...I need to hook it up to a running windows comp to check it out...

john4200

Jan 1, 2011
There are other alternatives. For example, you could boot from a USB drive with something like parted-magic (or any linux live distro) and run badblocks on the drive to do a complete write/read scan.