High performance 1U network appliance chassis?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Sort of an obscure question but thought I would ask anyways :)

I am trying to find a high performance 1U network appliance chassis that supports the following features:

• 1U form factor
  • Intel VT-d (or AMD IOMMU as a second choice), VMDQ, and SR-IOV support.
  • 2 x E5-2620 or even last gen xeon but need 12/24 cores/threads or more
  • 64GB or more ram
  • 8-12 x 1 Gbe RJ45 ports (i350 or 82599)
  • 0-4 10Gb Fiber ports (i350 or 82599)

The only one I have found is the Lanner 8893 which is basically perfect.

Any other options would be great :D

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Do you need threads or clock speed? The dual Xeon E5-2430L would be easier to cool. For that application though, you are talking about specialized hardware as you linked.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
A Supermicro 1022GG or 1122GG would give you 4x full height PCIe slots and a pair of G34s. That's about the only other setup I could think of that could give you the ports you need. Shame they don't have an Intel motherboard for their SC818G chassis.

Edit: Nope, nevermind. 4 chassis slots, but each riser card only has a single PCIe slot.

Last edited:

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Do you need threads or clock speed? The dual Xeon E5-2430L would be easier to cool. For that application though, you are talking about specialized hardware as you linked.
I am more interested in threads as it will be running multiple virtualized systems.

A Supermicro 1022GG or 1122GG would give you 4x full height PCIe slots and a pair of G34s. That's about the only other setup I could think of that could give you the ports you need. Shame they don't have an Intel motherboard for their SC818G chassis.

Edit: Nope, nevermind. 4 chassis slots, but each riser card only has a single PCIe slot.
Not a bad suggestion at all...I need to explore whether that would work with the limited ports. Even the built-in 82576 supports SR-IOV so that may help :)

This also looks really cool..highly configurable. But is 2U.
RMS-220 Network Appliance for DPI-Based Applications - Radisys
I like it!! But it needs to be 1U.

We already have a 2U, 5U and 14U solutions using an ATCA chassis and they are ridiculously cool. This 1U is for the bottom end

Thanks for all the suggestions so far though!

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
Lots of ATCA types of solutions for this but 1U is a hard find. Correct me if I'm wrong but your request really boils down to this:

VT-D: CPU choice takes care of this.
VMDq: (ex : ) Server 2008R2 Hyper-V and above with appropriate NIC takes care of this
SR-IOV: appropriate support in BIOS, OS (or hypervisor) and NIC take care of this.
Hardware Specs

The closest (that i've used in the past) I could come up with was kinda a DIY route. AIC GB101-HA (GB101-HA Specification) which supports dual E5-2400's, supports up to 384GB of ram, has a quad I350-AM4 (Intel's ARK says it supports VMDq) onboard and 3 PCIe x8 slots (for the additional NICS). That haddar mobo is built around the Intel® C606 PCH chipset which would indicate BIOS support for VMDq (since the chipset supports it).