High Density Storage Chassis: Chenbro NR407

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
From what I can gather, this case was unveiled at CeBIT 2013 not long ago. I would like to find more details about the unit, but all I can find is the news press release of the case on Chenbro's site. I initially saw the front page article about this chassis in the Processor (an IT and data center magazine). Imagine taking two 24-3.5" drive modules and placing them so that they are accessed from above as opposed to the traditional front access, similar to the 45 Drives pods. The benefit is that it's using SAS back-planes as opposed the SATA multiplier/expander of the 45 Drives pod and still within a 4U depth.

So how much will one of these set me back?

Scout255

Feb 12, 2013
There are JBOD enclosures out there that do something similar, such as this one from Quanta:
QuantaQCT > MESOS Storage > JBOD > 4U Enclosure
Admitidly you can not fit a server mainboard in there, though if thats what your looking for you could grab one of the new supermicro chassis that have the double hard drive caddies like:
Supermicro | Products | Chassis | 4U | SC847DE16-R1K28LPB

Without the double sleds, your limited to 36 drives with supermicro (Supermicro | Products | Chassis | 4U | SC847E26-R1K28LPB).

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I've requested one of the Supermicro 72 drive systems so that I can see how the drives are loaded. We're anxious to get them in and can swap out our 36 drive units if they work.

There are JBOD enclosures out there that do something similar, such as this one from Quanta:
QuantaQCT > MESOS Storage > JBOD > 4U Enclosure
Admitidly you can not fit a server mainboard in there, though if thats what your looking for you could grab one of the new supermicro chassis that have the double hard drive caddies like:
Supermicro | Products | Chassis | 4U | SC847DE16-R1K28LPB

Without the double sleds, your limited to 36 drives with supermicro (Supermicro | Products | Chassis | 4U | SC847E26-R1K28LPB).