hgst Where are nvme drivers / FW? (or what to use for 2012r2)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
i have a nvme hgst DC SN200 (HUSMR7696BDP3Y1)

anyone know where to find hgst drivers or FW? ive read the other threads on here:
1- says you need to register then enter you SN- (however on the wd/hgst product page, when you click support portal, and then register. once logged in the site only has WD stuff (and very few WD drives at that)

2- another thread said they couldnt find anything :(

however both of these threads were a few years old, so anyone have any recent info?

what brought me to this is in 2012r2 the drive is using a stock 2006 year MSFT nvme driver (and im not getting near the speeds i should so i assumed driver)- any idea what driver i should be using?

also, how would i set the drive to use 4k sectors or secure erase wo tools - both which the spec sheet says it supports? dont you need a mfg tool to do this? im used to intel nvme drives, with their specific dc tool .

here is all i could find:
product "support" page:
https://www.westerndigital.com/support/hgst/data-center-drives/ssd/ultrastar-sn200-series
product page:
https://www.westerndigital.com/products/data-center-drives/ultrastar-nvme-series-ssd

thanks

james23

Nov 18, 2014
hmm, well here is some contradicting info. (based on this pdf, which is from the link for my nvme SN200's "manual" -- its infact the manual for Hitachi Device manager, which is an app, like intel data-center tools for mgmt of HDDs / NVMe's)

driverCapture.JPG
from this pdf:
https://documents.westerndigital.co...03.807386995.1547700300-1202907284.1546044500

this says you dont need any specific nvme drivers (im guessing for just normal use - its not for my exact nvme, but hgst does not have many nvme's so im guessing it applies to mine as well):
upload_2019-1-16_23-29-20.png
from here:
https://www.sandisk.com.au/content/...m-fusion-iomemory-to-ultrastar-sn200-ssds.pdf

Dsigma

Aug 15, 2015
To register SN on WD portal, you need to get your Company information verified, I am not sure how to do this.
WD-Portal.png

Reactions: james23

james23

Nov 18, 2014
thanks sigma, are you referring to registering at this support portal ?:
Login Template Title

(i did register above about a week ago but have not heard anything, and when i login all i can find is WD stuff, and only PCIe WD drives, its a bit weird)

other than above, i can only find:
the WD consumer support portal (no enterprise drives, all consumer stuff),
and then
the hgst support portal (which eventually redirects you to the portal.wdc.com )
https://support.hgst.com/

thanks

Dsigma

Aug 15, 2015
Yes, I mean the WD support portal.
I registered the HGST support portal years ago, my account company information is a fictional company name, since I use the HGST drives for personal purpose. At that time, I could register SSD SN and download corresponding software/driver, just like other threads mentioned.
Recently I tried to download SN200 driver, I found HGST support portal became WD support portal. I can login, but I am unable to register SN. On my account, the 'Assets' icon is not functional and it says 'Asset Registration is enabled once portal registration is verified'. (My account screenshot attached)
After reading the 'Enterprise Support Center User Guide' (just below the 'READ ME FIRST'), I realized it may be due to the company information.

Attachments

Weisswurstsepp

Oct 24, 2020
I'd not get my hopes up because I have been trying for over two months to get firmware/drivers for our Ultrastar SN200 NVME SSDs and a few Ultrastar SA620 SATA SSDs, so far without success because both HGST's and WDC's support are utterly inebt.

The first thing HGST and WDC support always tells you is to register devices on the WDC Enterprise Support Portal, which then should give access to the device's downloads. Just that this never works.

We already have an account on the portal, so I registered and got verified a SN200 and a SA620 there, showing all the data and the warranty. Of course, like on previous encounters with that portal like when I needed drivers for our ioDrives, registering doesn't give you access to downloads or the knowledge base for these products. So I opened two support cases via the portal, one for the SN200 and one for the SA620, both with a request to enable access to the product downloads for these drives.

I then got then contacted by a guy from HGST who told me that this was the wrong contact and that he will forward my request to the correct team. Shortly after I got contacted by a lady from that team, who appeared to be from their division for consumer drives (passport and such, when Ultrastar drives are enterprise class drives) and insisted that unless I had a problem and tech decided that a firmware update would fix it they will not give out firmware updates. I asked her to escalate to their supervisor, which she eventually did, and when the supervisor contacted me he told me that he'll look into this and come back to me. That was last month.

In the meantime I contacted HGST support who also promised to look into this, and since then has gone to radio silence.

This means I have now wasted two months and several hours on something that shouldn't take anything more than going to a website and downloading the software.

We normally stick with HPE and Dell drives, and getting firmware updates for them is super easy. But for a new project we had to go with non-OEM drives, and it's shocking to see how incompetent HGST and WDC support are. They don't even seem to know their own products.

If anyone ever finds a way how to get firmware and drivers for Ultrastar SSDs please let me know.