HGST Wararnty Issue - Question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I sent in a (NEW) HE10 drive for RMA and they sent me a drive back with 66,792 POH

Why would they think this is acceptable? Did they mistakenly send me a used drive someone else sent in for RMA?

Reactions: Marsh

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
The other RMA drive arrives today, we'll see if I have better luck this time ;)

I purposely ordered 9 new drives and out of those 9 I had 2 DOA I had to send to RMA for replacement.

At-least if 8 work now I can build my array ;) and have the spare replaced.

I hate dealing with HDD. Worst component ever.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Did you send it to HGST/WD? That's way too many power on hours..
Yep. I'll be calling tomorrow, wanted to wait for the drive this time to arrive today.

The drive that came today looks identical to what I sent in... the one I received last time looks like an entirely differenet drive, Id idn't actually check it very well before hooking it up, but I did see 2016 date, it appears they sent me someone elses drive "back", maybe a RMA that was in fact good they weren't going to honor replacement. Hope they don't give me grief about this.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Two phone calls in, 1hr wait time while they 'research'.
0 Record of my RMA Email
0 Record of either of my 2 RMA #s they sent me
0 Record of anything....

This is ridiculous

The other drive I received shows re-certified on it, however when I check the warranty on this drive it says I must return it to where I bought it.

So 2 problems now. One drive not re-certified with 66,792 power on hours, and one drive with re-certified but 0 warranty left (of my 5 years left).
Aside from the issues of them having 0 record of my RMAs!

bilbo1337

Sep 18, 2020
Florida
Well the recertified drive wouldn't have warranty because the warranty through the manufacturer would be limited to one RMA typically

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Well the recertified drive wouldn't have warranty because the warranty through the manufacturer would be limited to one RMA typically
That better not be the case... 5YR Warranty on Datacenter drive I had to return due to DOA, using up a "one time warranty" without ever using the drive would be absolutely not acceptable.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
No follow-up from HGST.

Calling back again to see what's going on.

Terrible customer service, I will never buy a new Retail drive again. Better support is available from ebay vendors than this!

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
30 minutes on the phone again... this time they required "Proof of Purchase" to continue to help... you know, AFTER They already replaced my drives via RMA which show they were new\5yr warranty. Now they're concerned I'm trying to sneak\swap the one they sent me from 2016 with tons of hours for another replacement!

Now to wait 2 days or so for the "higher up" to validate and allow me to return these drives.

This process is ridiculous.