[Update: Seller Complaints Accumulating] HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

heromode

May 25, 2020
We can't forget that used sas drives from decomissioned servers are much cheaper than sata drives of the same capacity due to the fact that less people seem to know and use sas drives ;) as well as the fact that enterprises really don't use sata drives in servers so there is less supply. So less supply and more demand for sata used drives mean that the price of used sata drives will be higher than sas drives.
This was my whole point, atleast here in Europe the crypto boom pretty much ended that advantage. And it was the only advantage for a home user not running enterprise grade servers.

Reactions: Samir

pr1malr8ge

Nov 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure I've read through all of the pages in this thread I have not read through the chassis thread mentioned in this and I have not seen any hints towards what I'm about to suggest... How ever I was just watching Youtube and watching Mythbusters cement truck explosion episodes and the 2nd one they blew they mentioned using 5000lbs of ampho. This got me thinking about how much was used in the McVey terrorism in the early 90s. This in turn lead me to the Atlanta terror on Christmas eve a few years ago. Which was an ATT building and got me thinking. I'm wondering if all of these chassis and drives were an Insurance|tax or what ever write off by ATT... The seller is in Georgia. I wouldn't doubt it.. Thoughts?

• Wow
Reactions: Fritz

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
I'm pretty sure I've read through all of the pages in this thread I have not read through the chassis thread mentioned in this and I have not seen any hints towards what I'm about to suggest... How ever I was just watching Youtube and watching Mythbusters cement truck explosion episodes and the 2nd one they blew they mentioned using 5000lbs of ampho. This got me thinking about how much was used in the McVey terrorism in the early 90s. This in turn lead me to the Atlanta terror on Christmas eve a few years ago. Which was an ATT building and got me thinking. I'm wondering if all of these chassis and drives were an Insurance|tax or what ever write off by ATT... The seller is in Georgia. I wouldn't doubt it.. Thoughts?
That was nashville, not atlanta.

heromode

May 25, 2020
For work, I only purchase SAS drives. For home, I only purchase SAS drives. There are no good reasons to go with SATA. If I ever accidentally got a SMR drive I'd punch someone in the face.
I love my SATA drives. When i go for a walk, i always carry my SATA drives. When i go to the pub, i always take my SATA drives with me. My SATA drives are quiet, durable, and always complete their smart extended offline tests without errors.

I've heard alot of stories about SAS drives that have secret relationships, and then fail. I don't trust SAS drives.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Samir and itronin

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I love my SATA drives. When i go for a walk, i always carry my SATA drives. When i go to the pub, i always take my SATA drives with me. My SATA drives are quiet, durable, and always complete their smart extended offline tests without errors.

I've heard alot of stories about SAS drives that have secret relationships, and then fail. I don't trust SAS drives.
So SASsy.

pcmantinker

Apr 23, 2022
Although the chassis listing says Norcross, GA, they actually come from the St. Mary/Orlando, FL area. This is the same with the SAS drives. I did find some info left over in my Cisco chassis that it did belong to AT&T at one point with an email contact from AT&T. I had heard they were used for content provider services with AT&T such as customer DVRs.

Sacrilego

Retro Gamer
Jun 23, 2016
And now a third??? I'm starting to think it might not be the drives.
So far, I have 3 drives from a batch of 10 giving me a "FIRMWARE IMPENDING FAILURE SEEK ERROR RATE TOO HIGH" during resilvering.
Thats too much of a coincidence to me. I got another 3 so far operating fine without errors and 4 sitting now waiting for me to test.
I've never seen that smart error before.
Any suggestions?

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I just got 10x (2x 5pk listing same vendor has as OP); so, I'll check mine as well over the next week.

Apparently I previously bought a single 5x batch from this vender last year (Aug or so) as a Best Offer for $450. I just clicked, "Ordered Again." Those are still going strong.

Sacrilego

Retro Gamer
Jun 23, 2016
Truenas 12-U7 | Supermicro X9DRD-7lN4F in a CSE-825TQ-R740LPBB. (2) Xeon E5-2630 64GB Ram.
Using onboard SAS2.
2 pools. Tank1: 4(8tb), ashift=12, 2 vdev mirror/stripe. Tank2: 4(4tb) 512e, ashift=12, 1 vdev Z2

I'll update Truenas tonight. I'm currently swapping disks for Tank2 which is the 4 4tb drives.

The first disk I tried to replace gave me that smart error. I swapped for another, and it went without issue.
Trying to swap the second disk so far 2 disks in a row with smart failures.

No issues with the hardware prior to this and no issue with a second system with the same hardware (Replaced 2 disk on that one so far).

Sacrilego

Retro Gamer
Jun 23, 2016
SMARTCTL -a?
All three drives have the same seek error rate too high.
No smart errors reported prior to resilvering.

Code:
=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:               HGST
Product:              HUH721010AL42C0
Revision:             A38K
Compliance:           SPC-4
User Capacity:        10,000,831,348,736 bytes [10.0 TB]
Logical block size:   4096 bytes
LU is fully provisioned
Rotation Rate:        7200 rpm
Form Factor:          3.5 inches
Logical Unit id:      0x5000cca26a8fff78
Serial number:        2T
Device type:          disk
Transport protocol:   SAS (SPL-3)
Local Time is:        Sun May 29 17:11:22 2022 CDT
SMART support is:     Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is:     Enabled
Temperature Warning:  Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: FIRMWARE IMPENDING FAILURE SEEK ERROR RATE TOO HIGH [asc=5d, ascq=63]

Grown defects during certification <not available>
Total blocks reassigned during format <not available>
Total new blocks reassigned <not available>
Power on minutes since format <not available>
Current Drive Temperature:     34 C
Drive Trip Temperature:        85 C

Accumulated power on time, hours:minutes 27301:28
Manufactured in week 12 of year 2018
Specified cycle count over device lifetime:  50000
Accumulated start-stop cycles:  18
Specified load-unload count over device lifetime:  600000
Accumulated load-unload cycles:  1206
Elements in grown defect list: 0

Vendor (Seagate Cache) information
  Blocks sent to initiator = 5881521235820544

Error counter log:
           Errors Corrected by           Total   Correction     Gigabytes    Total
               ECC          rereads/    errors   algorithm      processed    uncorrected
           fast | delayed   rewrites  corrected  invocations   [10^9 bytes]  errors
read:          0        1         0         1    1751963       1845.180           0
write:         0        0         0         0      78552     107618.210           0
verify:        0        0         0         0      26524          0.024           0

Non-medium error count:        0

No Self-tests have been logged

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Truenas 12-U7 | Supermicro X9DRD-7lN4F in a CSE-825TQ-R740LPBB. (2) Xeon E5-2630 64GB Ram.
Using onboard SAS2.
2 pools. Tank1: 4(8tb), ashift=12, 2 vdev mirror/stripe. Tank2: 4(4tb) 512e, ashift=12, 1 vdev Z2

I'll update Truenas tonight. I'm currently swapping disks for Tank2 which is the 4 4tb drives.

The first disk I tried to replace gave me that smart error. I swapped for another, and it went without issue.
Trying to swap the second disk so far 2 disks in a row with smart failures.

No issues with the hardware prior to this and no issue with a second system with the same hardware (Replaced 2 disk on that one so far).
All looks good to me. I'd swap cables next just to eliminate those.

Reactions: Samir and Sacrilego

Sacrilego

Retro Gamer
Jun 23, 2016
All looks good to me. I'd swap cables next just to eliminate those.
Yep, I'll give that a shot.
In the meantime, I'll also go through a full burn-in test (smart short/long tests and bad blocks) on these drives on a separate system just to be sure.

Thanks

Reactions: Samir and Fritz