HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

heromode

May 25, 2020
If you only run 4 hdd, then sata might be fine. For people that want to connect 5+ hdd to their system, sas is really the way to go.
Used to be. Now it would be either a pcie3 x8 PLX card with 2x SFF-8643 connectors to 2x 4x SATA breakout cables, or on a mobo with bifurcation support just a simple pcie to 2x or 4x SFF-8643 adapter with 4x SATA breakout cables.. up to 16 sata lanes without any fuzz.

SAS is dead except for highly specialized enterprise stuff. Now you just breakout 4x pcie3 lanes into 4x SATA and so forth. 2 pcie3 x16 lanes = 32 SATA links.

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...apters-that-do-not-require-bifurcation.31172/

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Used to be. Now it would be either a pcie3 x8 PLX card with 2x SFF-8643 connectors to 2x 4x SATA breakout cables, or on a mobo with bifurcation support just a simple pcie to 2x or 4x SFF-8643 adapter with 4x SATA breakout cables.. up to 16 sata lanes without any fuzz.

SAS is dead except for highly specialized enterprise stuff. Now you just breakout 4x pcie3 lanes into 4x SATA and so forth. 2 pcie3 x16 lanes = 32 SATA links.

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...apters-that-do-not-require-bifurcation.31172/
While possible, I still don't understand why one would do this versus just getting sas drives. It's going back to throwing consumer stuff into a professional environment. If you want to do what the pro do, use what the pros do.

heromode

May 25, 2020
While possible, I still don't understand why one would do this versus just getting sas drives. It's going back to throwing consumer stuff into a professional environment. If you want to do what the pro do, use what the pros do.
Well i don't disagree, i'm just doing home stuff here. Again, second hand SAS drives used to be available alot cheaper than SATA drives per terabyte, and that was a huge incentive to get a SAS controller. Lately looking at the fleabay markets, that advantage is pretty much gone here in europe. I rest my case, have no arguments.

edit: there could be an argument that running SATA drives over pcie lanes is no less 'professional', infact, it's less complicated and removes complications like bad and/or corrupted SAS controllers, expensive and possibly bad cables, plus the extra conversion between standards. SAS used to be faster and more reliable, now it's no faster at all, and the physical drives are mostly all the same just with different PCB's (nearline sas essentially).

but i digress, your arguments are just as valid.

edit2: another issue is the ridiculous SAS cables, which requires A SATA power connector on top of the SAS connector. In many instances where the case isn't designed for that it makes for a flimsy connection that protrudes alot further out from the drive, in some cases like mine, i had issues getting the side cover on my tower case to fit because the connector was so bulky.

edit3: seems like i did have arguments after all :cool:

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I haven't bought a SATA drive in years except for a few boot SSD's. Too many crap varieties of SATA drives like shingled, green, etc. You can have them.

Reactions: itronin and TXAG26

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
We can't forget that used sas drives from decomissioned servers are much cheaper than sata drives of the same capacity due to the fact that less people seem to know and use sas drives ;) as well as the fact that enterprises really don't use sata drives in servers so there is less supply. So less supply and more demand for sata used drives mean that the price of used sata drives will be higher than sas drives.

Reactions: TXAG26 and Fritz

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
edit2: another issue is the ridiculous SAS cables, which requires A SATA power connector on top of the SAS connector. In many instances where the case isn't designed for that it makes for a flimsy connection that protrudes alot further out from the drive, in some cases like mine, i had issues getting the side cover on my tower case to fit because the connector was so bulky.
One word: backplane. ;)

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Btw, I don't use any enclosure or back plane for my 5 sas hdd. they are stacked on top of each other with a piece of plastic about 1cm thick in between each . I have a 120mm fan blowing air at them to cool them down. It's fine i guess if you don't have any pet or kid around in that room

heromode

May 25, 2020
We can't forget that used sas drives from decomissioned servers are much cheaper than sata drives of the same capacity due to the fact that less people seem to know and use sas drives ;) as well as the fact that enterprises really don't use sata drives in servers so there is less supply. So less supply and more demand for sata used drives mean that the price of used sata drives will be higher than sas drives.
This was my whole point, atleast here in Europe the crypto boom pretty much ended that advantage. And it was the only advantage for a home user not running enterprise grade servers.

pr1malr8ge

Nov 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure I've read through all of the pages in this thread I have not read through the chassis thread mentioned in this and I have not seen any hints towards what I'm about to suggest... How ever I was just watching Youtube and watching Mythbusters cement truck explosion episodes and the 2nd one they blew they mentioned using 5000lbs of ampho. This got me thinking about how much was used in the McVey terrorism in the early 90s. This in turn lead me to the Atlanta terror on Christmas eve a few years ago. Which was an ATT building and got me thinking. I'm wondering if all of these chassis and drives were an Insurance|tax or what ever write off by ATT... The seller is in Georgia. I wouldn't doubt it.. Thoughts?

• Wow
Reactions: Fritz

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
I'm pretty sure I've read through all of the pages in this thread I have not read through the chassis thread mentioned in this and I have not seen any hints towards what I'm about to suggest... How ever I was just watching Youtube and watching Mythbusters cement truck explosion episodes and the 2nd one they blew they mentioned using 5000lbs of ampho. This got me thinking about how much was used in the McVey terrorism in the early 90s. This in turn lead me to the Atlanta terror on Christmas eve a few years ago. Which was an ATT building and got me thinking. I'm wondering if all of these chassis and drives were an Insurance|tax or what ever write off by ATT... The seller is in Georgia. I wouldn't doubt it.. Thoughts?
That was nashville, not atlanta.

heromode

May 25, 2020
For work, I only purchase SAS drives. For home, I only purchase SAS drives. There are no good reasons to go with SATA. If I ever accidentally got a SMR drive I'd punch someone in the face.
I love my SATA drives. When i go for a walk, i always carry my SATA drives. When i go to the pub, i always take my SATA drives with me. My SATA drives are quiet, durable, and always complete their smart extended offline tests without errors.

I've heard alot of stories about SAS drives that have secret relationships, and then fail. I don't trust SAS drives.

• Haha
Reactions: itronin

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I love my SATA drives. When i go for a walk, i always carry my SATA drives. When i go to the pub, i always take my SATA drives with me. My SATA drives are quiet, durable, and always complete their smart extended offline tests without errors.

I've heard alot of stories about SAS drives that have secret relationships, and then fail. I don't trust SAS drives.
So SASsy.

pcmantinker

Apr 23, 2022
Although the chassis listing says Norcross, GA, they actually come from the St. Mary/Orlando, FL area. This is the same with the SAS drives. I did find some info left over in my Cisco chassis that it did belong to AT&T at one point with an email contact from AT&T. I had heard they were used for content provider services with AT&T such as customer DVRs.

Sacrilego

Jun 23, 2016
And now a third??? I'm starting to think it might not be the drives.
So far, I have 3 drives from a batch of 10 giving me a "FIRMWARE IMPENDING FAILURE SEEK ERROR RATE TOO HIGH" during resilvering.
Thats too much of a coincidence to me. I got another 3 so far operating fine without errors and 4 sitting now waiting for me to test.
I've never seen that smart error before.
Any suggestions?