HGST SSDs Comparison chart (in pdf)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
i finally put together a table of the various HGST SSDs (in google docs) , to help me figure out which to look for on ebay for xyz job type. its rough, but has some good data.

also i dont have many of the current / latest gen HGST SSDs (nor much on NVMe), as im looking for sas/sata low$ deals.

i figured i would share it. some data is not updated, mainly any ebay prices that are "~$70" are just filler to be updated later...and things like cache (as layout was a copy from my HDD chart like this).

the full pdf is attached (specsheet links work).

EDIT; i figured i would also post images of the pdf , for those tin-foil hat ppl (like me!) that dont trust pdfs (fwiw, the pdf is clean, was a print with chrome from google docs).

w image u do miss out on the pdf specsheet links ofcourse , and its lower resolution than the clear pdf.
p1Capture.JPG p2Capture.JPG

View attachment 9940 PDF FILE IS BELOW

Attachments

Last edited:

james23

Nov 18, 2014
love them (hgst SSDs and their HDDs= mainly 2tb/3tb/4tb HUA and HUS).

I have a little less than 40 x HGST SSDs running total, never had any issues. (same goes for any enterprise intel SSDs too though, but id take HGST ssds over intel, with the exception of the excellent intel p3700 line, and later model optane , although thats a bit unfair as those are nvme vs sas hgst units)

it should be noted (tks to patick's articles for this info)- HGST ssds use intel NAND , but they write their own (HGST's) firmware/controller.

according to Patrick (and i agree), this is the best of both worlds due to hgst's extensive SAS and controller experience.

Reactions: Samir

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Thanks for the added details.

Having a hard time finding models on ebay I find "interesting" (price per gb). Are most of these higher endurance models?

One exception is there are a small number of nvme HGST 1.92TB and 3.84TB nvme for sale for a fair amount less per TB than Intel 1.6tb nvme drives. The HGST are 1 drive write per day models vs the Intel P3605 at 3 drive write per day, but, 1 dwpd is probably fine for most cases.

That aside, the quantities available seem spotty. Am I just searching for the wrong thing?

james23

Nov 18, 2014
(some are higher endurance, but most are not, just check the "Reliability" column in my sheet, and then zoom WAY in you will see the PB WE rating - you may need to use the PDF version i attached to OP for higher res + direct spec sheet links)

its not you. they can be pretty hard to search for on ebay bc of the many different model numbers (ie if you click on one of the model's pdf spec sheet links i have, you will see like 20 different model number, each with a different capabilities).

+ alot of them on ebay are OEM drives (ie hp or emc or netapp ect), so they will have even different oem skus/model numbers (but you can always look at the picture of the ssd label ,and it will have the real hgst model num also, which you can then look up) i often take the sku and add pdf after it for a google search. ie

HUSMR1650ASS204 pdf (into google)

also try changing the middle number to search every disk size on ebay. ie in the example above, on ebay id search (nice how ASS is so common in these :/ ):
HUSMR1650ASS204 (500gb)
HUSMR1680ASS204 (800gb)
HUSMR1610ASS204 (1tb)

(see chart below for model num decoder, they have this on every one of their pdf spec sheets, and it is consistent , its a good model num system and you start to be able to know exactly what you are looking at just by looking at the model nums on ebay)
decondeCapture.JPG

if you know what size/model you want, you can also try ebay searching:
HUSMR1650ASS200 (crypto sanitize only) - common!
HUSMR1650ASS201 (TCG enc)
HUSMR1650ASS204 (no enc) - most common!
HUSMR1650ASS205 (some FIPS enc)

(usually its just 200 and 204 models that you find, but sometimes you can find the others at low $)

prob. the easiest / best thing to do is just search HGST ssd on ebay, and then work backwards to do the stuff i listed above (thus why i made the chart). it can be time consuming, but you will find good deals (i do this pretty often)

FYI- im sure there could be issues or weirdness with oem versions, as they often have their OEM firmware, but i have yet to have an issue with any OEM hgst ssds.

here are 3x examples i have bought in the past 2 weeks, that i felt were good deals, after quite a bit of research (and these drive specs are related to the needs i have currently) :

(not so good at 120$ each, but seller accepted 75$ each for 4x, then i bought 2x more at 75$ (i think very good $) - i actually plan to post this in the good deals forum, once i get them in tomorrow and can test them and be sure there is no OEM bs as they are HP OEM, with my supermicro/LSI BPs and gear) but if they work well i plan on buying 6-10x more. -- i prob jynx myself with that no probs with hgst OEM ssd comment above :)
HP HGST HSCP0480S5xnNMRI HUSMR1650ASS204 480GB 0B32264 SAS 2.5" SSD HDD | eBay

(KILLER zfs SLOG device, as its high endurance, and good IOPS, about the best SAS/SATA SLOG you can get b4 you move up to NVMe, the 2x i got in were mfg in 30th week of 2016 and had ONLY 8 TB WRITTEN!! )
HGST Hitachi Ultrastar SSD1600MM 200GB MLC SAS/SSD 12Gbps HUSMM1620ASS204 H-5105 | eBay

(another good, lower $ SLOG device, or otherwise high write ssd)
HGST 100GB 2.5” in SAS SLC SSD HUSSL4010ASS600 0B24934 Enterprise High Endurance 689742118466 | eBay

Last edited:

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Thanks again for the detailed info. I had a bit of luck searching "HUSMR" without anything else. Surprising how many listings don't say "ssd" or "hgst" in the title at all.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Digging this, does anyone have real experience with the failure rates on the SMR vs the SMM? Seeing a lot of SMR on eBay recently.