HGST SN260 in "Diagnostic Mode"?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

croakz

Nov 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Woke up to see my HGST SN260 not working. After reboots, moving slots, etc I found the HGST Device Manager to install. Looking at the state, it says my drive is in "Diagnostic Mode". Any know how to get it out of this? Thanks.

grepler

Jun 19, 2018
Same question here, did you have any luck?
In my case I have one particular server which reliably eats these drives (ate two I had setup as a mirror, and now another two), it appears to be related to the shutdown process. I think the server is not giving the devices enough time to shutdown.
I was able to catch this photo the third time it ate a drive...
1609191350222.png

larryexchange

Dec 27, 2016
Same question here, did you have any luck?
In my case I have one particular server which reliably eats these drives (ate two I had setup as a mirror, and now another two), it appears to be related to the shutdown process. I think the server is not giving the devices enough time to shutdown.
I was able to catch this photo the third time it ate a drive...
View attachment 16903
Today I experienced the exactly same issue. After losing 2 SN100 and 1 SN150, I narrowed down the issue was due to an NMVe HBA card.

Fortunately I found a way to recover those drives by activating the default firmware (read-only) in slot 1. After reboot, I can initialize and format those drives. Hope it's helpful and not too late. For details command, please check the attached pictures.

Meanwhile, I found I could not switch firmware to the previous one (131). Otherwise those drives would be in "Diagnostic Mode" again. Not sure if updating firmware to the latest one could resolve the issue. I don't have the firmware later than 131. So I couldn't validate it. Anybody has latest firmware, please share with me. I could give it a try.
HDM01.jpg

HDM02.jpg

After system reboot, you could see the drive is not in "Diagnostic Mode" any more.
HDM03.jpg

Now you could initialize and format the drive as usual.
HDM04.jpg

HDM05.jpg

Reactions: Patrick

ElCoyote_

Jul 22, 2016
Hi, I'am running into the same kind of issue (Both SN260's in Diagnostics Mode following a borked Dell BIOS update).
I was already on the latest firmware.. how did you make your drives leave Diagnostics mode? @larryexchange ?
Thanks for reading,

ElCoyote_

Jul 22, 2016
I tried to activate the slot1 firmware (the only one which is readonly) but it failed both times (even though I powered off/back on in between)