HGST SAS Slow to mount

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jw500

Apr 1, 2021
I bought 14 HGST 900GB SAS Drives from ebay (10 NETAPP X423_HCOBE900A10 NA01 from one seller, and 4 HITACHI DKR5D-J900SS G6G6from another). The first 10 "NetApp" drives work great, the other 4 "Hitachi" were used in a SAN and needed to be reformatted to 512 byte size, which I did using sg_format. Using Disk Management, these 4 drives really slow down the process of rescan, refresh and when taking them offline and putting them online. When I right-click the disk and select "Offline", it takes about 30 seconds, when bringing them back online it takes upwards of a minute or longer. The other 10 drives from a different seller don't have this problem and perform this task immediately, they show up as NetAPP drives while these 4 show as Hitachi. 1 of these 4 problematic drives has now failed to come online at all with a message about a hardware problem.

Is this possibly a firmware issue? Model is: HUC109090CSS600 (sg_scan shows: HITACHI DKR5D-J900SS G6G6 )

Edit, adding info:
System: PowerEdge T620 Dual Xeon with 16x 2.5" SAS bays, 96GB Ram, Windows Server 2019
Controller: Perc H200 in IT mode.
Commands used: sg_format --format --size=512 -v --six --fmtpinfo=0 PD8
After this was complete, I restarted the server, then went into Disk Management, Initialized as MBR > New Simple Volume>NTFS>Full Format (unchecked quick format).

The drives do work, I just just don't know if I trust them given the behavioral differences between these and the other 10.

Thank you!

Last edited:

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
search is your friend.

a post I added a while back.

Good chance those DKR5D drives were in a Hitachi VSP. I tried and failed to get the 600GB variant to work. IIRC a member did figure out a way to repurpose a variant of this model to work but I can't recall if they posted a detailed how-to. My memory says their initial method was to ship drives to them, block level bit surgery was performed and then drives were sent back. Its in one of the threads from the search results.

If you are in a hurry I'd return the drives to the seller (if possible) and get some former netapp or toshiba's as they typically just require a reformat from 520b to 512b.