HGST HUSMM1640ASS201 & HUSMM1640ASS204 OEM Firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wabbit30

Dec 30, 2018
Hi All,

I'm new to the community here, first and foremost, hello all!.

Does anyone please have access to HGST firmware specifically for model HUSMM1640ASS201 and or HUSMM1640ASS204, which is a 400GB 12gbps SSD Drive.

I recently acquired a couple of these drives, and reformatted them to 512 sectors from 520, but noticed that the current EMC drive firmware (revision C342) is restricting the speed of the drive to 6gbps than 12gbps (i understand the array from which they were removed, operated 6gbps max, but supported 12gbps drives).

The sticker on the drive is showing that drive was shipped with firmware version b250

It appears EMC put their own special fw on the drive to effectively downgrade it.

The backplane and raid controller are both 12gbps in my setup which is a HP G9 Server & P440 Controller, and a non HGST 12gbps drive does detect correctly (just in case anyone asks) and are all running the latest possible firmware.

[/dev/sdh]
Device Type = SCSI Device
Device Path = /dev/sdh
UID = 5000CCA04EBB5158
Alias = @scsi7
Vendor Name = HITACHI
Model Name = HUSMM144 CLAR400
Firmware Version = SPECC342

Capacity = 400000000000
Sector Count = 781250000
Sector Size = 512
Metadata Size = 0
DIF Level = None
Protection Interval = 1
Multipath Support = true
Encryption Support = false
Hardware Version = PIKE BAY B.0
SAS Port 1 Width = Narrow (1x)
SAS Port 1 Physical Link Rate = 6 Gb/s

It also appears that HGST have stopped letting people down the HGST Device manager, which is the tool i need to be able to flash the drives properly, there's a version on this forum, but i don't believe it is the latest, do anyone please have access to the latest version?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Last edited:

james23

Nov 18, 2014
wish i could help (cant), but you are in the right forums here. I have some HP HUSMR1650 s on the way so ill update if i see similar issues on those (they are HP oem, not emc though).

you may also want to look or post over on: Index page (hddguru forums)
users there seem to often have various firmware archived (its mainly a disk recovery/DR fourm).

Wabbit30

Dec 30, 2018
I've managed to fix the speeds, i found a bunch of HGST tools online that allow you to modify parameters on firmware.

The tool you guys need to modify drive speeds is called Niagara 4.3, documentation on how to change the speeds is under the niagara folder.

Contents of ftp

Crypto Erase
Drive Fitness Test (DFT)
HGST Device Manager
HiTest
Hugo
Niagara
HDM Core 3.4.0-8 (for debian)

They were all on the following FTP server ftp://ftp.abacus.cz/distribuce/HGST/

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I'm really curious if any of these tools will allow VSP drives to be used and/or swap out the firmware. I spent about 6 weeks this fall trying to get some VSP drives to work (how I actually learned about STH) with no success. Lots of used VSP drives out there. Niagara was one of the things I came across but could not find a download site. Thanks @Wabbit30!

Last edited:

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
@Rand__

I went down a rabbit hole and came back covered in fuzz... Sadly I kind of got me some learnin' but it was not applicable to the specific VSP @#$@#$@ drives I had. Ultimately I did learn some things but it went unpracticed.

Did not have HGST drives on hand when the above software link appeared. Simply voicing my comment and encouragement that it was an unexplored avenue when I had the drives but not the software. Without Nigara it looked possible on HGST DKS5D variants (see attached) - sadly my drives were DKR5D - there's another thread here (somewhere) about those DKR5D drives. Give the PDF a gander for the DKS variant process (again not Nigara related) method.

On this attached PDF

Its a save of a google cachned web page that was an interesting but I had the wrong types of drives. The web page does not appear to be retrievable even through google cache now. Possible to post PDF's here? I saved it as a PDF since I only found it in gcache. I also came across a nice article on popping in DELL firmware in a drive on non DELL systems and how to take apart the DELL update files. that article is easily found as is DELL drive firmware. Tried that too on this @#@#$@#$ drives. no go.

One thing I thought I read though was that the "EASY way to export those drives" is to do it on the VSP before you de-isntall them. I can't find that reference again now.

My adventure ended as the eBay seller had a 60 day unconditional return policy - so back they went. I did not keep any souvenirs nor a rabbit's foot.

I ended up paying $6 more per drive getting some netapp HGST's in DELL caddies of all things and had a delightfully easy time of reformatting them as well as $1 more per drive getting some Toshiba's which simply worked when I popped them in.

For the moment too much paying work to do and too much fun work on my lab evolution (almost finished - or as much as it will be) and hence am not really willing to drop a $20 on a drive to try it. Things could change though.

itr

Attachments

Reactions: sand_storm

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Glad you found a workable solution for your issue, and thanks for the pdf.
I was less interested in the VSPs to be honest and more in switch vendor fw (which might theoretically possible as described in the pdf).

Is there any description what Niagara can do (potentially better than sgutils)? Have not even installed it yet tbh, still waiting for my drives (sun branded hgst) & at information gathering phase

codemonkey

Apr 2, 2020
I've managed to fix the speeds, i found a bunch of HGST tools online that allow you to modify parameters on firmware.

The tool you guys need to modify drive speeds is called Niagara 4.3, documentation on how to change the speeds is under the niagara folder.

Contents of ftp

Crypto Erase
Drive Fitness Test (DFT)
HGST Device Manager
HiTest
Hugo
Niagara
HDM Core 3.4.0-8 (for debian)

They were all on the following FTP server ftp://ftp.abacus.cz/distribuce/HGST/
Hi, i know this is an old thread, firstly great find on the tools! ive been googling for days and have finally come across this thread... i downloaded and installed, can see current settings (i think) however i cant seem to save the values, or see a button for save which does anything/changes values when i reload, any chance you can remember how you applied the settings to the drives and the settings you set, the pdf is a little vague with just the single screenshot, thanks in advance, Tom

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
Niagara 4.3 installed in W10.
"Niagara has expired. Please upgrade to the latest version"

How to fix that error message?

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
Changing the PC date to 2018 & running as admin seems to have solved my issue.
Not sure which one of the two is more responsible.

Reactions: Rand__

DANIELDCMX

Jan 25, 2021
Hello everyone! does anyone know how to use niagara to make flash HGST change the LOD firmware? I need help, thank you in advance

Hd HGST blocked sed

Huc109060css600

Tickety-boo

Sep 8, 2019
I have a tool for swiping firmware, and the sales give me some lods of Cobra. D2F8, HPD5 ect...
About every 10 minutes, I was able to brush a DKR5C-J60SS or DKR5E-J1R2SS into non-HDS firmware.

Attachments

SuperVertrix

Jun 30, 2022
I have a tool for swiping firmware, and the sales give me some lods of Cobra. D2F8, HPD5 ect...
About every 10 minutes, I was able to brush a DKR5C-J60SS or DKR5E-J1R2SS into non-HDS firmware.
Hello,
I'm interested on this tool.
I have some Hitachi drives that I formatted to 512b block size, but they appear to be locked as I'm unable to write a partition on them