HGST HUSMM1616ASS201 1.6TB $184.99 obo

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012

Has anyone bought some of these?
If so, how much life is left?

Another auction here for $221 obo

josh

Oct 21, 2013

Has anyone bought some of these?
If so, how much life is left?

Another auction here for $221 obo
These were selling for $140 each earlier this year. Watch out for weird sector units. Those might not even be formattable iirc.

Reactions: itronin

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Prices and timeframes I'm pulling from the back of my brain so its all IIRC and for actual use from sellers - YMMV.

The labels are showing EMC - probably 520B sectors. You may need to reformat unless you have an EMC SAN in your lab or the seller changed the blocksize when they wiped.

The HUSMM1616 's are tanks. MLC. Very good IOPS performance, very good DWPD, very good endurance. But tend to draw high power under load. The 1.6TB version have been as low as 135 within the last year and the 3.2TB's as low as 235 within the last 45 days. IIRC BuyBest had both of those discounted prices - these items/prices are basically documented in the threads here.

Mainstream seller prices on the 1.6TB have been between 165 and 225, except for the last 45 days where the prices jumped up to the 250-300/drive range and I can only assume because of demand/availability (seeing the same thing with SM PWS-920P-SQ - but don't want to thread hijack).

buybest, boardroomtech I have used repeatedly over the last 4 years and by and large they communicate relatively quickly and will answer questions and if I had an issue they resolved it quickly and to my satisfaction. Note, I have no relationship with those sellers other than as a consumer.

g-electronic - I have not purchased from but they have a muddy reputation over in the brocade mega-thread. They sold a lot of ICX switches that had been refurbished, "tested good and ready for resell" but when the buyer received them they were patently NOT working. But switches aren't SSD's so your YMMV.

IMO and in this day and age the good sellers are reporting health status and actually wiping them and providing sample reports.
The one-offs or those that are turning and burning hardware lots are doing minmial testing.

If I were in the market for drives right now I'd ask the seller explicitly if they have the health statistics for the drives - or at least a range of health ratings for the lot they are selling. I'd expect that data to be available to them if they really tested them and wiped them... Given that most of us here do check health first thing with drives we purchased the knowledge is out there and is NOT arcane...

My 2 cents: Do your homework on the seller and don't just rely on eBay reviews/ratings.

Last edited:

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
btw, these drives are already at 512

@itronin Thanks for the detailed breakdown (in your reply).
Like you, I've also bought from boardroom_tech before. Service from that seller is excellent.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
IMO if you're buying only a couple of these get 2TB P4500\P3500 NVME for $200-225 instead.
If you need many, or higher endurance then these are likely what you're after if you have the SAS3 backplane and HBA for them. If you have SAS2 only they'll still perform > than SAS2 SSD but not up to full performance the SAS3 backplane and HBA will provide :)

josh

Oct 21, 2013
IMO they are good but only for way under the price. The 400GBs were going for $30-40 so I wouldn't pay more than $120-130 per piece especially for bulk purchases. I know some might think that's way too low but I've seen these go for around this price occasionally from the listings posted in this forum.

Reactions: awedio and itronin

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
IMO if you're buying only a couple of these get 2TB P4500\P3500 NVME for $200-225 instead.
If you need many, or higher endurance then these are likely what you're after if you have the SAS3 backplane and HBA for them. If you have SAS2 only they'll still perform > than SAS2 SSD but not up to full performance the SAS3 backplane and HBA will provide :)
Definitely true re NVMe but this SM chassis only has a SAS3 HBA, no NVMe!

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA
Not to Hijack thread - but I was about to sell some of my 1.6TB SAS3 SSD's.. Selling 10x in HP g9/g10 sleds (And keeping 10x). Solid drives haven't had any issues. Listing on the other forum shortly..

This one will have some of the bigger hours out of the 10x.

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor: TOSHIBA
Product: PX04SVB160
Revision: 0106
Compliance: SPC-4
User Capacity: 1,600,321,314,816 bytes [1.60 TB]
Logical block size: 512 bytes
Physical block size: 4096 bytes
LU is resource provisioned, LBPRZ=1
Rotation Rate: Solid State Device
Form Factor: 2.5 inches
Logical Unit id: 0x50000397dc8ad155
Serial number: 67W0A00UT41E
Device type: disk
Transport protocol: SAS (SPL-3)
Local Time is: Mon Nov 16 18:51:34 2020 EST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled
Temperature Warning: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: OK

Percentage used endurance indicator: 0%
Current Drive Temperature: 37 C
Drive Trip Temperature: 64 C

Manufactured in week 24 of year 2017
Error counter log:
Errors Corrected by Total Correction Gigabytes Total
ECC rereads/ errors algorithm processed uncorrected
fast | delayed rewrites corrected invocations [10^9 bytes] errors
read: 0 0 0 0 0 16370.238 0
write: 0 0 0 0 0 16492.783 0

XeonSam

Aug 23, 2018
He's selling them for $200 a pop for quantity.

The pics he sent say they are 99% life. They're all EMC drives with B250 firmware.. These limit the line speed to 6Gb/s.
The seller says they're all confirmed 12Gb/s and that they flashed all the firmware and formatted to 512b. He offered a 5% discount if I paid cash for the remaining drives he had... Which was like 150pcs.

I would stay away from these drives. Just have a weird feeling... Just people that want cash only payments make me cautious.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I think its a good practice to note which sellers are sketchy and why - backed up with testimonials and facts this becomes a service to the community. I think its also a community disservice to warn about vendors without warrant

@XeonSam what besides the cash offer makes you think something is amiss and is contributing to your weird feeling? 5% discount seems slightly better than any processor fees as well as insurance on shipping such a large consignment. Did Boardroom Tech tell you that you were not allowed to buy from them via the bay anymore or simply presented this as an additional opportunity?

That you are telling us they told you that they checked the remaining health, updated firmware, formatted to 512b blocks and changed the speed to 12Gb/s says to me (assuming true) that they have a refurbishing infrastructure and process far better than many of the other sellers on the bay... Plus you asked and they answered? So good communication too?

As a note: changing the speed from 6Gbps to 12Gbps is a very nice thing to have done for you. Getting Niagara configured, working, and figuring out the recipe was kind of a PITA as @awedio and others can recently attest to... So basically this seller is telling you they have plug n play drives all ready to go and will sell you a bunch plus give you a 5% cash discount?

I've made some deals on the bay before and then received subsequent "better" offers direct to me via email outside of the bay channels *after* I completed my initial transaction and thus avoiding running afoul of fleabays T&C/SA.

I question warning people to stay away from a seller who is IMO exhibiting good customer service and giving you an option for an even better deal? (@XeonSam , documented by your own post above no less)

I said it before and I'll say it again, I've done business with boardroom tech over the last 4 years. For me they have always been easy to work with, fast shipping, and excellent communication. I had one issue which they resolved very quickly. I have no relationship with them other than as a consumer.

Price wise this deal is okay, better what's been available of late for this device but not screaming "GREAT DEAL". At the same time you haven't shown anything that IMO warrants telling people to stay away from Boardroom Tech.

Reactions: awedio

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I've done business with them many many times and never had a problem that wasn't promptly resolved to my satisfaction.

Reactions: awedio and itronin

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
Thx @itronin for the detailed reply.

I don’t mind paying a few $$ more for an item if it’s from a seller (w great service) I’ve previously done biz with.

XeonSam

Aug 23, 2018
Woah @itronin, didn't think my opinion would get such a reaction.
I've never bought from him, but I sure have bought things off of ebay that wasn't on par. Thanks for telling me he was legit.

The reason I was suspicious were the photos he showed me. He said he had flashed all the firmware, yet the pictures all show the same original firmware was on the drives. That and the cash only for a first time deal.