HGST He8 Ultrastar 8TB HUH728080AL5200 $82

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TheServerGuy

Dec 18, 2016
I honestly don't understand all the crypto hate on tech forums. A small minority of crypto transactions are for illegal purposes btw. Also, an ROI of 6 months, even 10 months is pretty desirable as far as long term mining goes so my prediction is hard drive prices will remain where they are for at least another 6 months.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
The vast majority of crypto transactions are for speculation not payments of goods or services. That's fine, speculators would just find something else to speculate with.

Reactions: zunder1990

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
Look, I hate the shortages and price hikes as much as the next person, and I think there is a lot of work left to do to bring down the energy footprint of cryptocurrencies. But to say cryptocurrencies are just for criminals is honestly a bit ignorant, especially considering how essential of a tool these are for pretty much anyone in Lybia, Syria or Palestine at this point in time.

Magnet

Jan 25, 2018
North Florida
Crypto will ultimately have to be regulated. Its like the wild west. Also, even though criminal use may or may not be low, its what all the ransomware hackers want so it often makes news. The general non-tech public/politicians will eventually legislate rules for this.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
btw the prices of these used He8 drives have started dropping on ebay. it seemed like some were available for $100 or less.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Not satire--pretty much the truth that no one cares to admit because they're living in tulip-land...
The satire part comes when its based on metrics only applied to crypto.
Ignoring how many "regular market" products and valuations that are just as hollow.

or when compared to stuff that never had the same market/usage i suppose...

Mighty Man

Aug 9, 2019
I don't understand how you can take nothing and derive value from it. How does that work? :confused:
Most (paper) currency in circulation today (regardless of country) has no actual intrinsic value any longer as the central banks moved off the gold standard over the last 50 years or so.

Currency itself was invented as a medium of exchange to facilitate trading.

As for crypto being illegal — remember that it was all legislated to be illegal after it was developed, because the various countries realized they couldn’t regulate it (more specifically: tax it).

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I honestly don't understand all the crypto hate on tech forums. A small minority of crypto transactions are for illegal purposes btw. Also, an ROI of 6 months, even 10 months is pretty desirable as far as long term mining goes so my prediction is hard drive prices will remain where they are for at least another 6 months.
I mean, the reasons for most of the "hate" are not too complicated or nuanced.
Crypto drives up demand and prices for stuff like graphics cards, HDDs and SSDs -> people can no longer buy at "regular" prices or not at all -> hate.
There are of course some people who have other grievances, but this right here is how crypto=bad works for the majority of people on tech forums. If it didn't affect them, most people would not have any opinion on it, negative or otherwise.