HGST He8 Ultrastar 8TB HUH728080AL5200 $82

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
its ridiculous on how everything just got expensive so fast recently.. I still got 5 of the 4tb left. i guess i can wait a bit more...

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

pixelBit

Jul 16, 2019
They want me to send a video of a drive that is not working -- first they asked for a picture of it.

The crux of the problem is they claim to have sent me a e-mail from my first correspondence on May 24, 2021. Keep in mind that I have also left a voice mail message and contacted them on ServeTheHome -- I called almost everyday. I felt that they did not contact me at all, but is putting the onus on me saying "we tried to reach him".

I have answered almost all calls since the 24th of May -- you can imagine all the telemarketing and scam calls that people get -- well, just to make sure -- I am answering those and checking my e-mail.

Yet... when I finally get on PayPal for a dispute, bitdeals_tech is responsive, but the communication is mangled. How do you prove with pictures or data that doesn't even power on correctly?

This give me the impression that (1) you're not reading what I said, (2) you're not technically geared towards the issue, or (3) you have me jumping through hoops. Fortunately, I did not order the 14 disk I really wanted.

1623021620025.png
1623021665661.png
1623021830846.png
1623021961549.png
1623021978319.png
1623022055165.png

Attachments

Last edited:

bizzazz

May 15, 2021
Thanks for sharing your experience. This alone persuaded me to not buy from this place.

Thus far, bitdeals.tech offered a partial refund, RMA or proof with an additional 30 days, so I ended up creating a video... this would be rough if you have to make a video for each disk from a large order.

Reactions: Samir

pixelBit

Jul 16, 2019
Thanks for sharing your experience. This alone persuaded me to not buy from this place.
I had to spam messages to even get some kind of response.

This JUST happened:

1623067118859.png

I just hope to get my money back and I am happy for anyone that was able to take advantage of the deal. I assume "FIBs" was suppose to be FIPS. "I can't let you keep them" -- what? It's just wacky. I hope the Hollywood stuff works out if this is the actor, because this is just weird customer service.

I'll drop my PM in here to show that I wasn't trying to be rude and was willing to give more time:

1623067499094.png

Attachments

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
that's BS. You should file complain with paypal or credit cards company which would usually rule in your favor quite often and promptly issue refund while they fight the seller as long as you just provided proof that you ship them back by certified mail.

bash

Dec 14, 2015
scottsdale
A bunch of these guys basically got boxed out of the ecosystem due to the increase in demand for these drives. They use to be able to get get ridiculous deals from the larger scrap companies for decent sized orders(in the 100's).

Most of them are no longer really able to get a hold of what they use to and can no longer bottom feed off the supply chain.

Here is a secret most of these little guys just buy off of brokerbin.com and resell on ebay for a quick buck. Those days are somewhat over for drives.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
A bunch of these guys basically got boxed out of the ecosystem due to the increase in demand for these drives.
Who are driving the demand for these old drives? Certainly not any storage business...I use them for archival purposes in place of BD-R because it would take so much time to burn 4-10TB to BD-R. But i would never use them in any scenario that requires multiple rewrites and reread.

bash

Dec 14, 2015
scottsdale
Who are driving the demand for these old drives? Certainly not any storage business...I use them for archival purposes in place of BD-R because it would take so much time to burn 4-10TB to BD-R. But i would never use them in any scenario that requires multiple rewrites and reread.
chia mining 100% is the demand driver.

Reactions: Samir and Jaket

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I hate all these mining stuffs. It causes people not to be able to obtain GPU for games, manufacturers to cut down on SSD warranties, regular people needing HDD for backup can no longer get one..

So now we just need some coins that needs a lot of rams and cpu power to take that away as well as a currency needing high 4k iops so we can get our ssd taken also. Then the only thing left you can buy is the damn computer case...lol

• Haha
Aug 19, 2015
I've been tempted to buy from Bitdeals several times in the past. Saw this deal early and almost pulled the trigger, but the 92% health seemed fishy to me. The failure rate reported in this thread (3/10 and another 2/2 failures) is surprising. I also don't think I'd be too thrilled with 37k POH even at this cost (pre-chia). Makes you wonder if they tested them at all prior to sending them out. Failures and POHs aside, the slow delivery and poor customer service turn me off bigtime. Personally, I'd be pretty upset to have to jump through such hoops to get an RMA since it would be far more involved with my setup. I'm not even sure how I would produce a satisfactory video in my case.

bash

Dec 14, 2015
scottsdale
I hate all these mining stuffs. It causes people not to be able to obtain GPU for games, manufacturers to cut down on SSD warranties, regular people needing HDD for backup can no longer get one..

So now we just need some coins that needs a lot of rams and cpu power to take that away as well as a currency needing high 4k iops so we can get our ssd taken also. Then the only thing left you can buy is the damn computer case...lol
im actually creating a new coin that works off of PoCPSU which works off a proof of case and PSU. I will drop my white paper soon.

bash

Dec 14, 2015
scottsdale
I've been tempted to buy from Bitdeals several times in the past. Saw this deal early and almost pulled the trigger, but the 92% health seemed fishy to me. The failure rate reported in this thread (3/10 and another 2/2 failures) is surprising. I also don't think I'd be too thrilled with 37k POH even at this cost (pre-chia). Makes you wonder if they tested them at all prior to sending them out. Failures and POHs aside, the slow delivery and poor customer service turn me off bigtime. Personally, I'd be pretty upset to have to jump through such hoops to get an RMA since it would be far more involved with my setup. I'm not even sure how I would produce a satisfactory video in my case.
Some of these drives get tested many times after they are decommissioned. You have some of the big dogs that have the ability to test and wipe like 1000+ drives at once. Any that don't pass most of the time are just destroyed but some of them will sell them in bulk for very cheap to people who cherry pick them and sell them on ebay.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
People buy non working "For Parts" HD's for stupid prices on eBay all the time. I have no idea why, guess stupid is far more common than we know.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
For parts drives are useful, sometimes, to data recovery companies (or for people who are going to give it a try themselves).

If the drive is hard to get it may sell for a premium.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Chia mania is over. I see 14tb is selling for 380 on bit deals now. It will probably go lower in a week once they realize no one is buying anymore