HGST He8 Ultrastar 8TB HUH728080AL5200 $82

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yea, really sucks. Not too long ago I was buying 8TB SAS drives for $80. They're twice than and more now.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Yea, really sucks. Not too long ago I was buying 8TB SAS drives for $80. They're twice than and more now.
And I think that was the whole motivation behind this whole scam in the first place--to for some reason send storage demands to the ceiling and squeeze supplies. Maybe as a proving ground for introducing fakes into the desperate market and to see how well it tolerates fakes for long-term profitabilty from fakes? It's worked for gpus as there's lots of fakers out there making big money on that since the last cryptocurrency mania. I really hate the type of people that do stuff like this. :mad:

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
And I think that was the whole motivation behind this whole scam in the first place--to for some reason send storage demands to the ceiling and squeeze supplies. Maybe as a proving ground for introducing fakes into the desperate market and to see how well it tolerates fakes for long-term profitabilty from fakes? It's worked for gpus as there's lots of fakers out there making big money on that since the last cryptocurrency mania. I really hate the type of people that do stuff like this. :mad:
And I also hate the Manufacturers for playing along.

dfi

Jan 26, 2021
Hello, I have recieved the 5 drives i ordered after about a month. Based on the cost I'm alright with what i received. Currently badblocking drives, here are some key stats from smartctl that some of you may be interested in
  • Drives manufacturing dates
    • 2 x 2016
    • 3 x 2015
  • Power on time
    • 1 x 25000 hours
    • 2 x 27000 hours
    • 2 x 37000 hours
  • Error count log
    • 3 drives, no errors
    • 1 drive, 4 write errors (drive with most data processed)
    • 1 drive 2 write errors and 1 verify error
Other random notes, The drive with the least Power on time has processed 40% more data then all the other drives combined (drive has 1547 TB processed). The rest of that stats like load-unload counts all look pretty normal on all the drives. Surface scans are 70% compete no errors, if anyone wants more details just let me know.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I think that a lot of these HDD with bad blocks actually have them since the beginning that might have been just weak block or actual frank bad one. A lot of admin and users just put the brand new HDD into the array without running any surface scan test. I bet that if you run a surface scan write and read test on all the brand new HDD, you would pick up a few with bad blocks. If the HDD is a good drive, even running the test a few times and write and read a couple of times the capacity of the drives to test it really change nothing in term of its longevity (unlike SSD).

So I really think that admin should really surface write and read test every new HDD before adding to array. But i am guessing that this is just not practical to do in real life?

I even test out write and read the used ssd i buy. one more cycle of write and read on top of a used ssd won't make any difference and if it does then you really shouldn't use that very worn ssd for any reason at all....lol...

Firebug24k

Apr 12, 2017
I run a long SMART test, I dunno if that's good enough or not but it seems to catch most of the drives that I buy w/wiped SMART data that is hiding defects. Had 10/40 4TB drives I bought on Ebay last month fail this way and had to be sent back.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
10 out of 40? wow that's pretty terrible failure rate. especially for drives that were probably labeled as 'refurbished'.

novegg4

Nov 23, 2013
Order placed on Apr 14 was marked up as shipped on May 3, but never picked up since then and shows as "USPS Awaiting Item".
Have asked Brandon for help to find out what is going on.
Received the drives HUH728080AL4200 - took about one month. Full-surface scanned, put into arrays. POH~ 15K to 21K
Thank you Brandon.

Last edited:

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I run a long SMART test, I dunno if that's good enough or not but it seems to catch most of the drives that I buy w/wiped SMART data that is hiding defects. Had 10/40 4TB drives I bought on Ebay last month fail this way and had to be sent back.
A smart test by itself is not good enough if that doesn't include at least one run of full surface write and readback verification

Reactions: alka

pixelBit

Jul 16, 2019
I purchased a very tiny order of two disk on April 14 and received them on May 7th (I recieved a notifcation about label creation on May 5th); however, I didn't worry about delivery due to reading about the backlog, demand, and manpower -- they have a good reputation, etc...

Today, I had an opportunity to check both disk and they are DOA...

One fails during testing with WDC HUGO CL tool and would subsequently fail on a RAID controller and HBA (drops out).

The second disk has a issue with the spin cycle, so I don't know if it's bad PCB or a failing motor as it repeatedly spins up then immediately spins down indefinitely.

The packaging was very good and I hope they have more deals.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I purchased a very tiny order of two disk on April 14 and received them on May 7th (I recieved a notifcation about label creation on May 5th); however, I didn't worry about delivery due to reading about the backlog, demand, and manpower -- they have a good reputation, etc...

Today, I had an opportunity to check both disk and they are DOA...

One fails during testing with WDC HUGO CL tool and would subsequently fail on a RAID controller and HBA (drops out).

The second disk has a issue with the spin cycle, so I don't know if it's bad PCB or a failing motor as it repeatedly spins up then immediately spins down indefinitely.

The packaging was very good and I hope they have more deals.
I don't care how good the seller is. Always test yours as soon as you receive it so you can claim refund/replacement within the time window.

Firebug24k

Apr 12, 2017
Luckily I didn't have to return anything, but they didn't ever answer any of my emails about shipping status until the drives magically showed up. I'd file a dispute with your CC or paypal if they're not answering, that should get their attention.