HGST Enterprise 6TB SATA for $85 after coupon

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
I don't get why people gobble up easy stores, when slightly smaller drives can cost half as much after tax per TB
Because the easystores arrive new? Those 6TBs are 2 years old, and if you count lifetime on the pricing....

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
yeah I almost pulled the trigger and actually offer $175 for 2 of these. got turned down. i probably won't be getting them. definitely need to spend 2 days to run full bad block on these to make sure. and getting a refund sounds quite pain in ass so probably will pass

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I have a windows software that will do full drive write and read verify but also need additional hard drive health software to check for other things like smart among others.

Anyone got a real good HDD free software for this kind of thing?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I have a windows software that will do full drive write and read verify but also need additional hard drive health software to check for other things like smart among others.

are you looking for Windows specific program?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Well I received mine decently packed. At least on the outside. The disks were separated only by 1 layer of thin bubble wrap. All of them passed smart short test. Running full surface scan with Stable bit scanner now. Should take a day or so. I'll bring up a Linux box to try out @BLinux 's script in the meanwhile and run it after this scan completes.

On a related note, running would unraid pre-clear be a good test? I have a new unraid system that I can use for this.

D34510B7-5742-48E2-84EC-2F2D14ADEF27.jpeg 5E74D3EC-D906-4047-AEFD-3D2DC2D3FBD3.jpeg

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
So if the drive passes smart test and crystal disk info as well as two passes of read/write, what is the chance that it's safe for me to use as a "write once and stash away until need to get a file" kind of thing even if it has like 2yrs of worth of non stop use in a server in prior life?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
So if the drive passes smart test and crystal disk info as well as two passes of read/write, what is the chance that it's safe for me to use as a "write once and stash away until need to get a file" kind of thing even if it has like 2yrs of worth of non stop use in a server in prior life?
I think the chances are pretty decent. I have several old hard drives with 60000 hours on them that still work, even some with bad sectors that have not grown. And I'm not going to even mention the old SCSI (not SAS, i mean UW-SCSI) drives I still have around that seem to spin up fine. If the data you want to archive on them is very important however, I would take some additional precautions to make sure you don't lose that data should something go wrong. You could consider:

1) making some parity files so that if bad sectors show up in the middle of a file, you can reconstruct it.
2) make multiple copies on different drives, or some other cheap backup location offsite or cloud?

Basically, all the standard precautions one should take when considering important data, regardless if you're putting them on HDDs with 0 hours, 6000 hours, or 60000 hours. :)

Reactions: dawsonkm

MikeWebb

Jan 28, 2018
Luckily I use a freight forwarder for a lot of my eBay purchases (eBay global shipping can easily double the price). For $2 I can get them to take a photo when they get the package and then I can request they repackage the items for the big trip oz at wholesale shipping rates. This seller did the absolute minimum, if that, in padding it was substandard, I got shipito to go overboard with the bubble wrap.

Just waiting for some sas to sata cables so I can run my tests.

msg7086

May 2, 2017

I use Crystal Disk Info (Shizuku Edition) to check SMART, and DiskGenius to fill drives and scan for slow / bad blocks. There's an English version for DiskGenius called PartitionGuru IIRC.