HGST 7200rpm 10TB SAS $84.55

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
$8.455/TB for those that want the math even though it's easy on 10TB drives. :D And those 8TB mentioned above are $8.75/TB. :D

Roy360

Nov 4, 2016
Don't have a SAS card, but this price point is tempting.

Outside of getting a SAS that supports IT mode is there anything special about these drives?

Reactions: Samir

Glock24

May 13, 2019
How's power consumption and temperature on those drives? Are they any good for long term (2 years) data retention? They look tempting for backup purposes.

As I've never has SAS drives, a newbie question: Can I mix SAS and SATA drives on the same backplane/controller?

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
How's power consumption and temperature on those drives? Are they any good for long term (2 years) data retention? They look tempting for backup purposes.

As I've never has SAS drives, a newbie question: Can I mix SAS and SATA drives on the same backplane/controller?
Depending on your usage you can but you wouldn't want to raid them together I wouldn't think.
Long as your controller accepts both should be alright I don't like mixing things but we use ours for data center customers might be different for home.

Reactions: Glock24 and Samir

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
For equivalent modelsSAS drives generally consume like 1W more of electricity than SATA, sometimes are harder/impossible to spin down with inactivity.

I have done mismatched RAID between sata and sas of similar model drives with an old LS I9240 hardware raid card. Seemed to work fine for a few weeks, but it wasn't a critical environment or anything.

Reactions: Glock24 and Samir

Glock24

May 13, 2019
Thanks for the answers. I would only make an array with identical disks, I don't plan on mixing SAS and SATA drives in a same array, I was just wondering if they could be used at the same time on the same controller and/or backplane.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I don't plan on mixing SAS and SATA drives in a same array, I was just wondering if they could be used at the same time on the same controller and/or backplane.
If you're not mixing them in the same array, I believe they work fine together. At least they have on my HP DL380 G5.

Reactions: Glock24

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Any heterogeneity that might impact a zpool would not be delineated by SAS vs SATA but by drive characteristics like spindle speed, capacity, on-disk cache, etc. SAS/SATA is just the bus interface.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Any heterogeneity that might impact a zpool would not be delineated by SAS vs SATA but by drive characteristics like spindle speed, capacity, on-disk cache, etc. SAS/SATA is just the bus interface.
The interface makes a bit of difference too since SAS can use the more advanced SCSI command set. And generally SAS drives are higher performing than most of their SATA cousins even with similar specs.

Reactions: Fritz

llowrey

Feb 26, 2018
I run mixed on the same backplane without incident although I don't mix SAS/SATA in the same raid volume.

As @EasyRhino pointed out, the SAS drives do run a bit higher power and definitely require much more 5V than SATA drives do. For my cassis that use consumer grade power supplies, I had to make sure to source units that were able to supply enough amps at 5V. Most consumer power supplies can provide a lot of juice at 12V but only a paltry amount at 5V.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Power is always a concern with an array of drives, and staggered spinup helps.

llowrey

Feb 26, 2018
Power is always a concern with an array of drives, and staggered spinup helps.
AFAIK, spinup mostly stresses the 12V supply since that is the power source for the motor. The 5V supply powers the controller and drives the bus. While the 5V load is likely higher during spinup & initialization I wouldn't expect it to spike as much as the 12V does. The SAS bus also operates at a higher differential voltage than SATA. Anyway, when I had 5V supply issues and inserted a SAS drive another SAS drive or two would drop from the bus because of 5V voltage drop from the added load. Staggered spinup won't help in that situation.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
AFAIK, spinup mostly stresses the 12V supply since that is the power source for the motor. The 5V supply powers the controller and drives the bus. While the 5V load is likely higher during spinup & initialization I wouldn't expect it to spike as much as the 12V does. The SAS bus also operates at a higher differential voltage than SATA. Anyway, when I had 5V supply issues and inserted a SAS drive another SAS drive or two would drop from the bus because of 5V voltage drop from the added load. Staggered spinup won't help in that situation.
Gotcha. Good to know what happens when there isn't enough power too. :eek: