HGST 6TB SAS Hard Drive $90 or cheaper ->$50;) - Sold Out -

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
My understanding is that those drives support both 512e and 4Kn formats. Has anyone tried to reformat their drives to 4K sectors?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Seller refunded for the defective drives today.
Up until now he has not said anything about sending them back which is nice since that would be expensive to the US.

Psycho_Robotico

Nov 23, 2014
Seller refunded for the defective drives today.
Up until now he has not said anything about sending them back which is nice since that would be expensive to the US.
Did you request the refund via ebay or by message? The first option asks me to create a shipping label.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I did not run the formal process - i discussed with the seller and he did a partial refund via paypal.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Did you request the refund via ebay or by message? The first option asks me to create a shipping label.
I've had returns that generate a label and then the seller just does the refund and the return is complete so I end up keeping the item. But this depends on what the seller wants to do.

Reactions: Psycho_Robotico

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Anyone who ran badblocks had any issues?

mine are running for about 2 weeks now and still not done... script failed to write logs so i am blind to progress :(
Only thing I have is elapsed cpu time - and a single disk I restarted a week after with tmux which is now at 2/3 of the cpu time of the others and at

Testing with pattern 0x55: 32.82% done, 162:23:16 elapsed. (0/0/0 errors)

They will have passed the first test now, so I assume any bigger issue should show up on smart test, no?

Edit: Reading the manual helps, it says:
-o /path/to/output-file: print bad sectors to output-file instead of stdout

so *if* any bad sectors happen *then* they get printed to the log => no entry in the log = all good

Still running btw... maybe I should have paid more attention to the actual blocksize, I ran with 4096 which might have been the wrong one potentially lengthening the process considerably:O

Edit2:
So the bulk of my drives has now finished - after 15d - without issue logged...

Last edited:

Psycho_Robotico

Nov 23, 2014
Did anyone manage to get the unusable drives working? An inquiry with HGST got me the info that they don't support these drives (i.e. no firmware -_-). The OEM is apparently Cloud.NET, whoever that might be.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So 2 of mine didn't survive the badblocks run...

SMART Self-test log
Num Test Status segment LifeTime LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]
Description number (hours)
# 1 Background long Failed in segment --> 3 560 - [0x1 0x5d 0x63]
# 2 Background long Completed - 47 - [- - -]

I don't think I want to put data on these even if they seem to work fine ;)
Contacted the seller, will let you know how he handles that...

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Seller refunded fully for the two additional broken drives - no discussion. Really happy how they handle these issues :)

Reactions: Samir and mmo

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Seller refunded fully for the two additional broken drives - no discussion. Really happy how they handle these issues :)
Considering the time that goes into diagnosing a drive, I'm glad they do handle issues well. :)

mower

Mar 31, 2022
Has anyone successfully recovered one of the broken drives.

I bought 3 on Ebay and they have more listed. HGST HUS726060AL5210 3.5" 6TB 7.2K 12Gbps SAS-3 128MB Server Hard Drive 641676218551 | eBay

But all 3 have the "device is NOT READY" problem. Is there a source for the correct firmware for those 7K6000 devices ? And if so, how can I get it and replace the firmware on the drive ?

I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 and using a LSI SAS-2 controller

Thanks in advance :)

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
all three give that error? might be controller or other related.
can you hear it spin up?
almost sounds like 3.3v pin power supply issue. I've seen it on newer SAS3 drives but I didn't remember it on my 726060.... but maybe.

mower

Mar 31, 2022
Thanks for the response :)

So the controller does see the drive, and the kernel does recognize it when I insert it into a slot. (this is a chia farm with several drives, and several sas expanders/disk shelves). So I'm pretty confident that it can talk to the interface, it just times out waiting for the drive to spin up, and it reports itself with 0 size (but that might be a by-product of not spinning up). I also modified my interposer board to not connect the 3.3v power supply pins (and the reserved pins next to it). So I'm pretty sure there isn't 3.3 volts on that power supply pin. And when I pull the drive out (hot swap bay) it is definitely spinning (I can feel the angular momentum of the spinning platters).

So I suppose it could be something incompatible with the bus master, but even the HGST docs claim that it is backwards compatible with SAS2.

I would prefer to figure out how to fix them, but I might just have to go to the ebay seller and request a refund. So wondering if anyone ever figured it out, or if they all just made some arrangement with the seller ?

mower

Mar 31, 2022
So to get closure (at least for my part in this tale). I got a SAS cable that ran directly from the HBA to the drive, and use the 5V and 12V only molex style connector for power. (The previous system had several SAS expanders between the HBA and the drive). So no way it could have been the 3.3V on the power enable pin problem. And no other nodes on the SAS bus. This is a LSI SAS2308 HBA chipset (SAS-2), and the latest IT firmware.
This system currently has a mixture of SAS and SATA drives on a few drive shelves, so I'm sure it works ok (at least as a SAS-2 environment) The drives come up and the BIOS and the OS both "see" the nodes, but when the OS waits for the drive to spin up, it times out.. (and the drive makes a little click when that happens). The drive is spinning (but who knows if it is at the correct speed) as I can feel the angular momentum when I pull it out of the machine. And I ordered 3 drives and they all behaved the same way.

So I got a return authorization from Ebay and the seller and I am sending them back for a full refund.

My conspiracy theory is that this surplus house got a bunch of these drives in a batch. They sold them off and some of them were defective (either when they got them, or they were damaged in the shipment), and then any ones that were defective they took back as returns, but then just put them back out there assuming that the person that bought them didn't know what they were doing, or their system was incompatible. So I guess it is buyer beware when a surplus house has a bunch of drives.. make sure they will accept returns :) (oh and this surplus reseller has very good customer service.. very prompt responses to questions, and promptly approved the return,, (we will see about them issuing the return when they get the drives back)