HGST 550GB Virident FlashMAX II - $650 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
If I was ging PCIE now I'd save some pennies and go with the intel 3600 for a bit more NIB. 450k random IOP vs 105k thats a big difference for <2x price.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Minor update - you need a serial number to register and download software... I have no idea where to find this.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Patrick are you talking about the windows driver for the card? I am actually looking for it too...
That would be a start. I think I found a VMware ESXi one but it would be nice to have the Windows driver. I looked on the HGST site and you can register the card and download. Mine is just hard to get to.

alexwill22

Oct 30, 2012
You will have to go to link that Patrick has in his post and select Product Registration. You have to select FlashMax not FlashMaxII, I know it sounds crazy, but I brought the same card from the guy you bought yours from. You will see two stickers on the card with barcodes, one of those will be the serial number. Once you are registered, you will have access to the drivers and firmware for all FlashMaxII versions. Let me know if you have any questions. Also, I think the field for the serial number is case sensitive, it has been two weeks since I been on it, so I could be wrong.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
You will have to go to link that Patrick has in his post and select Product Registration. You have to select FlashMax not FlashMaxII, I know it sounds crazy, but I brought the same card from the guy you bought yours from. You will see two stickers on the card with barcodes, one of those will be the serial number. Once you are registered, you will have access to the drivers and firmware for all FlashMaxII versions. Let me know if you have any questions. Also, I think the field for the serial number is case sensitive, it has been two weeks since I been on it, so I could be wrong.
You are AWESOME! Thank you.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Tried in Win 8.1 (just to see if it would work) -- tried a "few" combinations.
HGST Virident FlashMAX II 550GB installation error.JPG

neeyuese

Feb 28, 2015
The Flashmax full software package can't install on Windows 8.x . Earlier drivers were released with support for Windows 7, but that support for desktop operating systems was discontinued some time ago and Windows 8.x has never been supported.

flashmax3.png

You can use flashmax III boot driver to let the card working on windows 8.x. Also the cli tools are support on windows 8.x once driver loaded.

Windows server system are fully supported.

Last edited:
Reactions: OBasel and Patrick

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
@neeyuese I was stuck here too. Downloaded - extracted - and did the device manager driver update. Thx so much.

OK well update - device manager sees it but disk management doesn't. How'd you get around that?

Rebooted - said Virident NAND Flash Controller00 in device manager. Re-pointed installer for that one to the boot drivers. Now says Virident FlashMAX II card.

OK now shows up on partition manager and can be partitioned.

thankx @neeyuese !!

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Has anyone else seen lower transfer size/ low queue depth IOPS on these cards? Here is the pretty standard database IOMeter profile as an example:
Virident DB IOPS.JPG

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
wow...that's very low iops for that queue depth...
That is what I am thinking. Odds are there is something I am missing in the setup. ATTO looks about right. AS SSD looks like there is some big read latency / low 4K read (1/6th of write) and CrystalDiskMark is abysmal.