EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I bought a couple extra to try and flip on CL. If your anywhere near Atlanta I can help ya out. But I have zero desire to ship them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
just won a LSI SAS HBA SAS9300-8e for $76. I've been patiently waiting for a good deal on an external for a while. I'll be able to replace my extremely warm LSI 9206-16e and upgrade to 12g sas3 at very little cost after selling the 9206-16e. Looking forward to adding a few more ssds and seeing what happens

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
Anyone know if SSDs just slot into these drive bays or if I'd need an adapter?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
@carpenike
I Haven't tested yet but this is what the manual says about using SSD... you might wanna know

SSD Partial Population Rules
The following population rules for SSDs must be followed for a partially populated enclosure to function properly:

• The minimum amount of drives required for the enclosure to function properly is two SSDs.

• Each increase in drive must be done in increments of two.

• Each row that is partially populated with drives (HDD and/or SSD) must have the population of that row completed with blanks.

• A combination of HDDs and SSDs are allowed, but the rule of increasing capacity must be done by two when SSDs are involved.

• The remainder of the enclosure, preceding a populated row may remain empty.

• When SSDs are involved, the population of drive slots must be done in the order and positions displayed below.
• Repeat the configuration for each following row.

There's also suggestion for partial HDD population.. is this even true?

Last edited:

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I was assuming this was stated more for proper airflow than anything else. I tried putting drives randomly in the enclosure and it seemed to work just fine. So from an airflow standpoint their logic is sound so I can only assume that is what it is meant for.

Reactions: denywinarto

Silhouette

Feb 13, 2012
Can't figure out where to plug the QSFP+ cable, it won't fit in the "console" port

Do i need anything else to connect it to my M1015?
The cable must be connected to the port marked "IN". I think you might have bought a cable with a mini sas hd connector on one side, in which case you won't be able to connect it to a 8088 port on your adapter. You need either a QSFP+ to 8088 cable, another adapter (if there is one that will convert mini SAS HD to 8087), or a different HBA with mini SAS HD ports.

Reactions: denywinarto

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
I wonder if instead of using SFF8644/SFF8088 to QSFP, you could use the QSFP to 4x SFP+ breakout cables to a 10GBe router/switch and just have everything routed through that without having to do direct attach.

Would that work in theory?

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
SAS 9206-16e Host Bus Adapter

Has anyone tested this..or its variation?
Dell rebrands it to SC 8000

Edit : Gene said earlier it would get hot without additonal cooling.. Any other recommendations?
Preferably under 150

Looks like i have 2 options here...

2x QSFP to SFF 8644 + SC 8000 card (~$200) or
2x QSFP to SFF 8088 + SFF-8087 to External 8088 Adapter + M1015 card (~$160 without the card)
cabls found from this site
QSFP to MiniSAS(SFF-8088) DDR Cable 0.5M | QSFP MiniSAS
Anyone bought their cables?

Which one should i choose?

Last edited:
Reactions: nephri

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
The latest firmware for these bad boys is 4.2.5, released September 2016. The version IX systems shipped these out with is 2.1.0.

They need to be attached to an HBA (non raid) card to be updated, one ESM at a time. Can be done from Linux or Windows OS.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
The latest firmware for these bad boys is 4.2.5, released September 2016. The version IX systems shipped these out with is 2.1.0.

They need to be attached to an HBA (non raid) card to be updated, one ESM at a time. Can be done from Linux or Windows OS.
This may sound stupid but do you have a link for reference on this? Not questioning you, I actually want to read about it and update mine.