EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
No, maintenance on the host and or power cables/distribution or when i checked my second box.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Actually I am not, the second one is not up, just needed to run a few tests and was too lazy to set up a secondary physical box just for that.
But electricity is up the roof nevertheless, but thats another discussion :D

Puppetfreek

Nov 17, 2014
A year ago I started asking around if anyone was able to run anything else than HGST branded drives in these. The conclusion from this forum, and many of the sellers (eBay and others) seemed to indicate that there was limitation in place with the brands of drives you could have running - this was also mentioned in the documentation. Some of the sellers actually tested this themselves, with various Seagate drives they had laying around. Back then, they confirmed that they (the Seagate drives) did indeed not work with the HGST 4U 60. This was true for the GEN1 - GEN3.

For the people that run these at home, are you only using HGST branded drives? Or have you had difference experience than the above?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
It depends on the firmware, older ones do run other drives - at least thats the case for the G1

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
A year ago I started asking around if anyone was able to run anything else than HGST branded drives in these. The conclusion from this forum, and many of the sellers (eBay and others) seemed to indicate that there was limitation in place with the brands of drives you could have running - this was also mentioned in the documentation. Some of the sellers actually tested this themselves, with various Seagate drives they had laying around. Back then, they confirmed that they (the Seagate drives) did indeed not work with the HGST 4U 60. This was true for the GEN1 - GEN3.

For the people that run these at home, are you only using HGST branded drives? Or have you had difference experience than the above?
i have gen 1 unit, firmware 0210. i can use seagate 10tb disks. tried with 4 seagate 10tb

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Actually I am not, the second one is not up, just needed to run a few tests and was too lazy to set up a secondary physical box just for that.
But electricity is up the roof nevertheless, but thats another discussion :D
Is your rack full btw?
I'm thinking of getting for a new UPS with longer backup time, so that at least the rack can hold up during blackouts
what specs would you recommend if i want like 3+ hours backup? Assuming the rack is full

Gen1 here. Never used seagate brands since they have bad reps on backblaze's reports,
HGST and WD drives only

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Is your rack full btw?
I'm thinking of getting for a new UPS with longer backup time, so that at least the rack can hold up during blackouts
what specs would you recommend if i want like 3+ hours backup? Assuming the rack is full
Full and Full are different things ... you know physical size might not be related to (peak) power draw.

You should try to get a rough feeling for what you use everyday vs peak vs minimum config for blackout times.

I upgraded recently since I was not happy with runtime and now have a SMX1500 + extension and a secondary SMX2200 (I got relatively cheap), but have not properly distributed things yet.
The 1500x (with extension) claims 1:30 runtime at current 50% utilization.
Depending on your draw it might take quite a bit to cover 3hrs ... maybe consider an optional blackout plan (running most important services on less boxes)

Reactions: denywinarto

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Full and Full are different things ... you know physical size might not be related to (peak) power draw.

You should try to get a rough feeling for what you use everyday vs peak vs minimum config for blackout times.

I upgraded recently since I was not happy with runtime and now have a SMX1500 + extension and a secondary SMX2200 (I got relatively cheap), but have not properly distributed things yet.
The 1500x (with extension) claims 1:30 runtime at current 50% utilization.
Depending on your draw it might take quite a bit to cover 3hrs ... maybe consider an optional blackout plan (running most important services on less boxes)
Hmm I was assuming worst case scenario if someday my rack is filled with 60 drives
, although it seems unlikely cause the older ones always fail first before i put a newer drive..

Thanks though, i think i'm gonna try SURT6000XLI with one or 2 backup extension modules.
there's a seller offering a used unit cheap here..

Although this multiple (48) batteries system kinda concern me,
i heard that if one battery fail, that module will stop working,
i thought it would work like redundant psu

Psycho_Robotico

Nov 23, 2014
Does anyone have an update for the G2 version that's more recent than 0061 (4U60G2_STOR_ENCL 0061)? I'm specifically hoping for lower fan rpm.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Any idea if Dell's Cable Management Arm is compatible with this ?
It seems to be identical.. can't find HGST's CMA anywhere
Put my jbod on a rack and turns out the QSFP cable is longer than i thought, and it's a bit worrying cause its hanging out when i pull / push the rack.

Edit : also i did some HDD testings. turns out seagate really wont work on this. Specifically Seagate's ST4000DM000

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
On hardware compatibility info its always useful to add the firmware version it applies to:)

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Anyone used WD black on this?
I'm having BSOD issue twice, with 2 different wd black drives setup
the first one with WD black 1tb, unfortunately i didn't keep the bsod detail file. The 1tb drive went to RAW after BSOD.
The second one with 3x WD black 4TB under win server 2019 storage spaces.
BSOD code :

av_code_av_null_ip_volmgr!vmpreadwritecompletionroutine

But the strange thing is that it only happens when stablebit scanner (a drive scanning program) is scanning the drives.
The second one is more fatal, it's causing endless BSOD loop, even after the drives were taken out, fortunately i kept a backup OS image.

I'm trying to determine whether this is :
1. Storage spaces issue
2. WD black incompatibiltiy issues (since 1tb also bsod'ed)
3. Stablebit scanner issue.

The drives themselves were fine, even if it went RAW i was able to recover it with chkdsk (on another motherboard without the rack) and it didn't show any issue on hddsentinel.

Last edited:

Silhouette

Feb 13, 2012
Anybody have a copy of the 0210 firmware, or another of the early G1 firmwares that isn't locked to a specific set of HDDs?

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
Wait what lock? Mine is also g1 but i havent updated it at all
and don't DARE to update.....you will loose hdd-compatibility with seagate hdd's.

because since some firmware version they put vendor-lock for hdd. i got gen1-unit with 0214 (i guess) firmware and it is working with seagate 10tb hdd. if you update firmware of the 60-bay unit, you may only use wd/hgst hdd's

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
and don't DARE to update.....you will loose hdd-compatibility with seagate hdd's.

because since some firmware version they put vendor-lock for hdd. i got gen1-unit with 0214 (i guess) firmware and it is working with seagate 10tb hdd. if you update firmware of the 60-bay unit, you may only use wd/hgst hdd's
Hmm mine is already rejecting seagate 4 tb though.. so probably is updated already :/