EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
do you still have the sas 2 controller from before to use in the meantime?

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Yes i just plugged it back in...why?
It's detecting 11 as well
That would point to it not being the controller and more of an OS issue possibly. I think you should probably try a linux OS just to see if it does the same thing or not. It will help you rule out things. What you posted seems to rule out the sas card the new or the old one as being the issue

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
That would point to it not being the controller and more of an OS issue possibly. I think you should probably try a linux OS just to see if it does the same thing or not. It will help you rule out things. What you posted seems to rule out the sas card the new or the old one as being the issue
Hmm using linux would force me to make alot of changes on my server...
But on the bios both sas card are detecting 11 drives, if it is indeed OS issue then wouldn't it show 12 instead ?

btw what's your drives composition gene?
HGST tech said that if i use 4TB it would get detected

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
HGST user manual. page 71 onwards is relevant - https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/4U60-G2-Storage-Enclosure-User-Guide.pdf

maybe someone changed some of the settings in the management interface. Page 72 shows how to use the ethernet management interface. Looking at the list of commands it supports iomconfiguration should be set to dual and the other command that stands out is zonecfg which should be disabled. I havn't connected mine up yet

ok so my enclosure firmware is: 0210 based on what lsscsi says
i installed sg3-utils and lsscsi packages with apt-get then ran:
sudo lsscsi -g | grep encl
output which shows both backplanes:
[0:0:24:0] enclosu HGST 4U60_STOR_ENCL 0210 - /dev/sg24
[8:0:2:0] enclosu HGST 4U60_STOR_ENCL 0210 - /dev/sg27

see what firmware your enclosure is running. Based on the manual if we can get a copy of the firmware from HGST you can downgrade flash it. I don't see a way for me to read/save the firmware

also i ran sg_scan to show all the devices i have running that the sas card sees and I'm at 28 right now:
sudo sg_scan
/dev/sg0: scsi0 channel=0 id=0 lun=0
etc with 27 more entries
My ip is 192.168.0.200, gateway and subnet are already correct.
This is where i'm stuck,
pinging to .10 and .11 give me destination host unreachable
and thus telnet can't connect to those ip

I'm using sg_utils for windows found here
The sg3_utils package
so far only sg_scan works, but it only returns same hdd list as the disk manager.
it doesn't detect the enclosure,
running other exe gives me "missing device name" what should i name the device?

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
@Gene : could you upload your firmware image somewhere?
Im thinking to flash one of the esm since there are 2 of them with your firmware. I read cyberskulls' post that upgrading firmware is risky.
I wanted to use ubuntu..But i couldnt risk messing the data too.. im worried accessing the drives with ubuntu would mess up with permissions of the file. Since im using drivepool im not sure what happens if its being accessed by ubuntu and then windows.
So im gonna pull out the drives first, then connect the unused esm to ubuntu machine with lsi 9300 8e and upgrade the firmware.. would this work?
This way in case if i screw the firmware upgrading or i got same effect as cyberskulls i still got another esm to work with..

Last edited:

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Ill try to get registered on the hgst site and see if i can get previous firmware. I dont see a way to save the firmware you have just a way to flash it

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
HGST user manual. page 71 onwards is relevant - https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/4U60-G2-Storage-Enclosure-User-Guide.pdf

maybe someone changed some of the settings in the management interface. Page 72 shows how to use the ethernet management interface. Looking at the list of commands it supports iomconfiguration should be set to dual and the other command that stands out is zonecfg which should be disabled. I havn't connected mine up yet

ok so my enclosure firmware is: 0210 based on what lsscsi says
i installed sg3-utils and lsscsi packages with apt-get then ran:
sudo lsscsi -g | grep encl
output which shows both backplanes:
[0:0:24:0] enclosu HGST 4U60_STOR_ENCL 0210 - /dev/sg24
[8:0:2:0] enclosu HGST 4U60_STOR_ENCL 0210 - /dev/sg27

see what firmware your enclosure is running. Based on the manual if we can get a copy of the firmware from HGST you can downgrade flash it. I don't see a way for me to read/save the firmware

also i ran sg_scan to show all the devices i have running that the sas card sees and I'm at 28 right now:
sudo sg_scan
/dev/sg0: scsi0 channel=0 id=0 lun=0
etc with 27 more entries
Managed to read the firmware
Looks like the version is still the same as yours
Code:
SCSI3:0,10,0   claimed=0 pdt=dh          HGST      4U60_STOR_ENCL    0210
is 4.21 safe?
IIRC cyberskulls upgraded to FW_v4.2.5 and it screwed up the rack..
@CyberSkulls did you manage to downgrade to previous version?

I managed to fetch some logs using CLI tools, this is under 1 ESM and 1 PSU (plugged out the other ESM and PSU) and port 60 has the undetected 8TB hdd..

Execute Command: about Celestica Tamer CLI All rights reserved. Use is sub - Pastebin.com

HBA log from Dell SC8000
properties_hba1.7z

Last edited:

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Some more testings:
Right ESM works with Left ESM plugged out.
But the opposite doesn't apply, Left ESM doesn't work without right ESM.
It doesn't detect any drives with Left ESM alone.

I thought they're supposed to be redundant?
Tried switching cable and it was ok so it's not cabling issue.

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Some more testings:
Right ESM works with Left ESM plugged out.
But the opposite doesn't apply, Left ESM doesn't work without right ESM.
It doesn't detect any drives with Left ESM alone.

I thought they're supposed to be redundant?
Tried switching cable and it was ok so it's not cabling issue.
SATA drives are not dual ported. So they only show up on one controller.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Finally figured out the cause...
my new drive has shorter length than the older ones.. no wonder it didn't detect it cause it's not even plugged in!
never new they had different size though..
i moved the caddy screw higher and now it's working :)
Kudos to rahvin9999 for helping me tracking the cause.

Reactions: zeynel

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Haha i always check to make sure the drive end is even with the end of the drive caddy. No wonder we couldn't figure it out

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Just tried another 10tb from hgst and it had the same short length.. guess newer hdds are shorter now..
Btw.. has anyone measured using wattmeter how many watt does this thing need at full or at least half full drives?
Im building a custom ups and i'd like to buy the accu according the watt needed.

Edit : Hmm mine runs at 240-250 Watt at 220v, at 13 drives..
assuming each drive needs 10 watts max, (HGST 12tb needs 8w)
safe to say add 470 watts? That's roughly 700-800 watt

Last edited:

Mirabis

Mar 18, 2016
Anyone looking for mounting rails for this beast? Sold mine a few months ago but the buyer didn't want the rails

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Psycho_Robotico

Nov 23, 2014
If the JBOD is conneted to a HBA/SAS controller (LSI3008) on startup, the fans will stay at 100% RPM. Does anyone know of a work around aside from unplugging the HBA ahead of booting the JBOD?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So as some may have seen I had mentioned in another thread that I had found some new old stock on those.
Seller had a total 4 complete + 1 partial available. The 4 complete systems are gone (2 hopefully @Emanuele who had voiced interest just recently, 2 to me) but a partial one still would be available.

Price would be 350 + VAT +p&p,

this is the description
HGST 4U60 JBOD, 4U, 60x 3,5"/2,5" disks, 2x SAS QSFP+ 12Gb/s ports, dual SAS module, 40 disk carrier, no HDD

• HGST 4U60 12G SAS-3 JBOD Storage System 4U, 60-bay Rackmount Enclosure with 60-SAS Port Backplane
  • (40) 3.5" SAS-3/SATAIII/SSD hot-plug hard drives hard disk carriers for 3,5" HDDs
  • 2x Hot-swappable SAS-3 Interface Modules (SIM) with LSI SAS Expander
  • 2x 12Gb/s SAS QSFP+ external ports per SIM Modul
  • N+1 redundant fans (fans integrated in PSU)
  • (2) 1650W Platinum high efficiency redundant PSU 200-240VAC
  • 1x Set 19" Rack Rail Kit
  • 1x Power and SAS cable management arm kit
  • 24 Months rest limited vendor warranty
I am not affiliated with the seller, its an established company in Germany.
I will provide the sellers email address on request so not going to be involved in this at all.
Just told them I'd see if anyone I'd knew wants the last one;)

Reactions: Emanuele

Emanuele

Mar 1, 2019
@Rand__ yes, the seller will ship today, I'll leave feedback here when I receive them ;)

If someone is not going to fully populate the storage (i.e. ssd jbod + some HDDs) this is a great price.
The seller also sells the cables, which are very difficult to find out...
Does anyone know where to find host to storage cable - mini SAS HD (SFF-8644) to QSFP+ (SFF-8436), at a reasonable price?

Last edited: