EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Coraid / Newisys /S10 NDS-4600 60 Bay SAN NAS 10Gb Ethernet Controller ASM-01558 | eBay

Can we use this for our chassis?
Seller says it's compatible with Hitachi S10 60 Bay units.
Still need processor and ram, still interesting nonetheless,
it means less electricity cost and 1 less pc to handle
PC3 ram = ddr3 ram right?
Yes DDR3 ram is what it uses. Also supposedly comes with a 128GB SSD for a boot drive.

So does this replace one of the two SAS controller slots in the rear? Maybe someone else that doesn't have theirs in use 24x7 could take a look for you. Pretty neat option. processors look to be cheap. Not sure if it would drop electrical cost as it would still use more power than a base hgst 60 i think. Linker3000 who posted earlier is emailing a colleague to find out if it is compatible after I asked him about it.

Last edited:

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Yes DDR3 ram is what it uses. Also supposedly comes with a 128GB SSD for a boot drive.

So does this replace one of the two SAS controller slots in the rear? Maybe someone else that doesn't have theirs in use 24x7 could take a look for you. Pretty neat option. processors look to be cheap. Not sure if it would drop electrical cost as it would still use more power than a base hgst 60 i think. Linker3000 who posted earlier is emailing a colleague to find out if it is compatible after I asked him about it.
yes, it should be used to replace it.
The PSU is not replaced so shouldn't the power be the same?

PM'd the seller he said it's not compatible..
doesn't explain why ..
the chassis looks identical though..
i thought it'd be nice if we could shutdown with this controller

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
So here is the reply back:
From the 4U60 team...

"I think it is unlikely – I did check to see if the 4U60 was SBB compliant as I figured that might give a glimmer of hope (if the Newisys board is) but alas I found this in the manual..

The Enclosure Storage Module (ESM) provides SAS connectivity and enclosure management within the 4U60

Storage Enclosure. The ESM is not SBB 2.0 compliant and is a custom form factor designed to support an overall length of 860mm for the 4U60 Storage Enclosure chassis.

So … I think it’s highly doubtful."

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Anyone here who has both the 4U60 and 4U60G2 models in production?

Have a question about the noise levels.
My 4U60 starts up pretty loud but then spins its fans down to a very reasonable level.
Just received two 4U60G2 enclosures but these seem to spin their fans at a constant level. they do not spin down as the fans in the 4U60 d0.

Now I tried out a few things.
The power supplies (which hold the fans) are identical in make and model
The enclosure itself is also identical.
Only difference is in the controller
The 4U60 controller has 2x QSFP ports, one in and one out
The 4U60G2 controller has 4x Mini SAS HD ports

So I swapped the 4U60 controllers into the new 4U60 enclosure
The fans spun down to an acceptable noise level.

Which makes me think its the controller firmware that is the culprit.

Can anyone here confirm this?
Havent gone into detail on firmware versions. But since the HSTG support page only shows one for the 4U60G2 in assuming the controllers came with the latest.

Going to abuse the sg3 tools to find out more.

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Got an answer from HGST support.

The enclosure and the power supplies are the same between the G1 and G2 versions. Only some minor hardware revisions.
The controllers are different HW with firmware that was made by a different team. This firmware has a completely different fan profile.
Its by design that the fans of a unit with a G2 controller run much faster @idle then the same unit with a G1 controller.
This to support Disks/SSD's that run hotter.

Long story short. I managed to aquire a second G1 unit and I plan to sell the two G2 units I have. They are a little to loud for my taste.

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
Got an answer from HGST support.

The enclosure and the power supplies are the same between the G1 and G2 versions. Only some minor hardware revisions.
The controllers are different HW with firmware that was made by a different team. This firmware has a completely different fan profile.
Its by design that the fans of a unit with a G2 controller run much faster @idle then the same unit with a G1 controller.
This to support Disks/SSD's that run hotter.

Long story short. I managed to aquire a second G1 unit and I plan to sell the two G2 units I have. They are a little to loud for my taste.
Would you be interested in selling both the G2 controllers?

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
It is louder then a non G2 due to the firmware.
Best I can do is to use a DB meter app on the iphone.

Which gives 70db at the back of my rack that has my G1 units in it. (them being the loudest thing in there)
and 85db at the back of a G2 unit.
( same distance about 1 meter)

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Odd, i installed my 12th drive, a HDD red 8TB wd, formatted to NTFS..
but it wont get detected on my win server 2012.
Did not use any screws to mount the hdd though.. .
Was it too loose or something? pretty sure it's clicking though

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
No it's a brand new Red WD, i tested it on another machine and it shows up..
Is there anything that must be done from SAS card bios?
It's been a while since i add new drive..
Depends, what storage adapter do you have driving it?

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Depends, what storage adapter do you have driving it?
Dell SC8000.. A.k.a LSI 9208 16e rebranded..
If i recall correctly i had to do firmware upgrade to make it detect all drives..
But this time it's only a single new drive not detected.. bad port?