EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeff Kaminsky

Oct 10, 2016
Reactions: raileon

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
This is a complete side question, but those of you that are around enterprise equipment all the time, are these chassis not very common out in the wild? Prior to this thread, I had never seen one.

I also understand these are coming from people/groups that bought them to harvest the disks out of them. Which brings up another question about why they wouldn't just use those disks in this chassis rather than moving them to a different chassis.

Just having a hard time wrapping my mind around why said groups wouldn't want these chassis. Although I don't have one in front of me, they look like tanks unless they are actually thin n flimsy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Kaminsky

Oct 10, 2016
The chassis I believe is a new one from HGST, its heavy, and feels very solid just as it should be.

Requiring QSFP connectors was annoying but not really a deal breaker. This jbod supports a single host connection, some others have multiple host connections.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just having a hard time wrapping my mind around why said groups wouldn't want these chassis.
There are some environmental concerns with large JBOD chassis.

First, many racks are not deep enough to hold them.

Second is weight. There are posts out there that cannot support a full 40U of these boxes without having the posts bend. I have actually seen a few half filled (lower) racks for this reason. That situation depends on your rack and the chassis and is especially important on the larger 90 bay (or more) chassis.

Remember, hard drives weigh around 1.5-2.25 lb each so these are not light.

A third one is that the maintenance is a bit harder in that you do have to slide the chassis out of the rack to swap drives. That is what makes cable management arms important on these chassis and other top loading chassis like the HPE Moonshot.

With all of that said, if they will fit, there is a good chance I will be grabbing one of these.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
There are some environmental concerns with large JBOD chassis.

First, many racks are not deep enough to hold them.
That's what i'm waiting to see measured dimensions in rack from someone that got one. My HP 42u basement rack has 40" of depth as well

Last edited:

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
That's what i'm waiting to see measured dimensions in rack from someone that got one. My HP 42u basement rack has exactly 36" of depth before rear door
Yeah mine may be sitting on top of my half rack. :)

Have a 26U xRackPro.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
So this big beasty came in today :)

I spent the morning redoing my UPSs and installing the SM 45 Bay and then the HGST 60 Bay. I'm pretty sure I should visit a chiropractor soon...

It came very well packaged as one box on top of a cardboard pallet (first time I've seen one of those). It comes with the cable management, sliding rails, and two C13-C14 power cords.

The big question most people wanted to know is total length without the cable management. It's almost exactly 34.25".

I know the measuring tape is a little blurry but trust me its exactly that. This includes about 1" of PSU "skirt". See what I mean here:

I highly recommend moving this thing around on a dolly... Plus you get to ride it this way :p

Next comes racking it. I put it in the Dell 4220 Standard I've show before which is 1070mm in depth. You should read the instructions online for the rack mount, it's nothing crazy or anything but it could save you sometime. I'm allergic to instructions so I ended up setting the rails too low the first time and I also didn't realize that you're supposed to remove the ends of the rails that slide out, screw them on the chassis, then slide them + chassis back into the main rails in the rack.

Here's the front view:

The bottom two are my Eaton UPSs then the HGST, then the SM on top. It looks like some kind of weird crate from this angle. I also need to refinish my floors...

Next up are the back shots that show clearance with my Eaton 0U PDUs. There's not much space there, not sure I like it but it's not blocking anything completely either.

Here is an angle shot of the clearance to give you a better idea:

I'm not crazy about the position it's in right now. This might work better as the first item in the rack with the UPSs on top of it. That will be a project for another day though. I haven't powered it on yet (the SM either) but if you have any questions about anything else please let me know.

Reactions: Patrick

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Gotta be honest, after seeing it racked next to a SM chassis, I'm not sold on the look of it yet. I wasn't expecting to look at it and and go wow that SM sure does look nice! Haha

I am curious now that you have it and can compare it to the build quality of your SM chassis, wachu think? I know these things are long but I can basically pick my 846 chassis up by the corner and they don't flex, so we all know how well built the SM chassis are. Curious about your thoughts compared to the new one.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@raileon - thank you!

Is the rear rail the same distance behind the chassis as the "PSU skirt"?

Looks great and thanks again for all the information.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Gotta be honest, after seeing it racked next to a SM chassis, I'm not sold on the look of it yet. I wasn't expecting to look at it and and go wow that SM sure does look nice! Haha

I am curious now that you have it and can compare it to the build quality of your SM chassis, wachu think? I know these things are long but I can basically pick my 846 chassis up by the corner and they don't flex, so we all know how well built the SM chassis are. Curious about your thoughts compared to the new one.

I'm not a fan of the look either, it reminds me of something I'd buy at Ikea to put socks in.

As far as build quality though, this thing feels very sturdy. I wasn't kidding when I said I was riding it lol

The HDD trays also feel like better quality than the SM trays. The HGST trays are mostly metal. On first impression I'm not concerned about build quality. But let's see how it plays out with time since these don't have much of a track record behind them.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
@raileon - thank you!

Is the rear rail the same distance behind the chassis as the "PSU skirt"?

Looks great and thanks again for all the information.
No problem.

The rear rail sticks out 1.75" from the back of the enclosure so about .75" more than the skirt.

I don't like that rail either... wonder if I can cut it.

Reactions: Patrick

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I'm curious to know what you think of how loud it is compared to your SM assuming your going to control you SM fans vs running wide ass open. I keep going back to the SM 846 simply because I already own some so it gives me something to compare to.

Are there drive LED's anywhere on the front of the chassis or only on top once the cover is removed?

I had read earlier in this thread about it pulling 50-70 watts with no drives. That bugs me a bit as I have my current 846 chassis idling at 56 watts with 24 reds while spun down and 106 all spinning. Again, just something I can compare it to.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
I'm curious to know what you think of how loud it is compared to your SM assuming your going to control you SM fans vs running wide ass open. I keep going back to the SM 846 simply because I already own some so it gives me something to compare to.

Are there drive LED's anywhere on the front of the chassis or only on top once the cover is removed?

I had read earlier in this thread about it pulling 50-70 watts with no drives. That bugs me a bit as I have my current 846 chassis idling at 56 watts with 24 reds while spun down and 106 all spinning. Again, just something I can compare it to.

I probably won't turn either on until late tonight or tomorrow morning so I can't comment on much of this yet. I don't see any LED's on the front of the HGST other than "Power, Ready and Locate" on the lower right. Now you got me wondering what locate is for and if there are hidden LEDs behind the grill.

The PDUs these are going to be plugged into are managed so I can give fairly accurate power usage when I fire them up.

Also, I upgraded the SM with the CB3 control board and better PSUs so a sound level comparison should be on equal footing.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Thanks. I changed all my power supplies as well. They all have 920SQ's in them. I don't mind wind noise but the high pitch of the power supplies drove me nuts.

I never sprung for the newer jbod power board. I ended up putting in cheap AM1 boards due to their low power and it was actually cheaper than the CB3. I'm a cheap ass when it comes to those things. Now I do have some the 2nd gen power boards in my backup servers. Don't mind those fans running at 100% since they only run for a short time.

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
I probably won't turn either on until late tonight or tomorrow morning so I can't comment on much of this yet. I don't see any LED's on the front of the HGST other than "Power, Ready and Locate" on the lower right. Now you got me wondering what locate is for and if there are hidden LEDs behind the grill.

The PDUs these are going to be plugged into are managed so I can give fairly accurate power usage when I fire them up.

Also, I upgraded the SM with the CB3 control board and better PSUs so a sound level comparison should be on equal footing.
Locate in a Windows SSP type setup would be used to determine which chassis a disk is in. I have 7x SOFS clusters now with 4x 84 bay JBODS attached. Each disk has an enclosure ID and slot ID associated with it.

There's PowerShell cmdlets to light up that locate port and also the disk LED.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk