EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Any of you that have bought these chassis and found/tried cables or are simply familiar with QSFP period, I need some education.

In the documentation is shows we need QSFP+ so logically I would think QSFP+ to SFF-8088 would do the trick. Problem is from searching a lot of the big usual sellers on eBay I see the use of QSFP & QSFP+ being used interchangeably. So my question becomes, is there a physical difference in the port between QSFP and QSFP+ or is it simply a naming standard and the physical port and cable is the same.

As an example when I search on eBay I got jack for QSFP+ to SFF-8088 but a ton of listings for QSFP to SFF-8088.

I'll be using this chassis simply for media storage so I will honestly never realize the speed gains offered by this technology but want to make sure I get the right cable. I'll probably honestly just go with a SAS2 card as they are dirt cheap compared to SAS3 cards. If I'm never going to see the speeds of simple bulk storage, I see no need to go any higher than SAS2.

Now please feel free to correct me and educate me, I'm not afraid to learn :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That sucks. Especially since that rail overhang seems pretty pointless. The only reason they did it is for the cable management arm that most of us aren't even going to use.
I can see the importance of the cable management arms since to do hot swap you need to pull the chassis out of the rack.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
I can see the importance of the cable management arms since to do hot swap you need to pull the chassis out of the rack.
Oh the cable management arm I totally get. I assume those are pretty much required in a production system for this type of storage.

My problem is with making that rail extra long just so you can attach the arm to it. Some of my other servers have detachable pieces on the rail if you wanted to add an arm.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@raileon 60 drives * 5% AFR and they are probably thinking you will pull it out a few times per year.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Did you seriously just buy them all before i could get the single one i wanted when i had available income next week?

Edit: was about to get heated when ebay watch list showed all of them sold/ended.. i was like that is in no way a home server purchase but they are still there whew

Last edited:

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
So much for getting any testing done this weekend. UPS "incorrectly sorted" my qsfp cables, won't see them until Monday now...

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
Comes with PDU power cables (whatever that connection is, not a plug). Guess I won't be playing this weekend. Need to pick up a 240v PDU.

Will grab one off eBay. Looking at APC/Dell/Triplite. Any recommendations otherwise?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Hoping people give us some recommendations. I'm in the same boat as you. Have one coming next week and need to either get a PDU or a UPS that has a normal frikin male plug on the end.

On the flip side I know these were not designed to run in our homes so it's not shocking to see it with this type of plug. I just wasn't expecting it.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
It is easy enough to replace the power input cables going into pdu or ups. Just use thick gauge (hint buy a short version of cable you want and cut it up to what you need) I did it on my apc 120v transformer. Just make sure it can safely handle the amps you feed into it (wire thickness and specifically type of plug and outlet). Almost all of those ups/pdus you can easily use a screwdriver to unhook the original power cable in minutes

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
It is easy enough to replace the power input cables going into pdu or ups. Just use thick gauge (hint buy a short version of cable you want and cut it up to what you need) I did it on my apc 120v transformer. Just make sure it can safely handle the amps you feed into it (wire thickness and specifically type of plug and outlet). Almost all of those ups/pdus you can easily use a screwdriver to unhook the original power cable in minutes
I think he's talking about the power into the JBOD. Need either a PDU or a UPS or a new power cable with 6-15 or 6-20 connectors.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I think he's talking about the power into the JBOD. Need either a PDU or a UPS or a new power cable with 6-15 or 6-20 connectors.

Exactly. Sorry for the confusion. Was just meaning I have to run a new 220 line back to my rack for this chassis which was fine, already had two chases in that wall for prior cat6 cables that are not in use anymore so it will just be fishing the wire and laying it across the attic. But now I gotta buy a PDU as well. What started out as a cheap chassis is adding up rather quick with the power/plugs/PDU or UPS and QSFP cables.. it will still be a fun project in the end though.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Yeah wasnt cheap going 220 for me originally either. Those qsfp+ cable costs are ridiculous :(

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
They better be sprinkled with unicorn dust for the price they are getting for them!!

But on the flip side, infiniband has always drawn my curiosity so this will be the first step into modernizing my gear. Hell I'm still running SAS1 backplanes in my SM846 chassis. They have served me well. So I'll be making quite a leap to SAS3. I won't be able to realize all the gains using my spinners. Might have to put some of the SSD I have laying around and watch files transfer back and forth really fast just feel like I got my money worth.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Yeah wasnt cheap going 220 for me originally either. Those qsfp+ cable costs are ridiculous :(
What amp service did you run? I don't want to crazy but also only want to do this one time. So I'm torn on what I want to run for wire. I guess I could always craigslist my clothes dryer and free up a 220 plug :)