EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by ecosse, May 21, 2016.

1. Mirabis

Mirabis Member

the docs also list the size without cable management, but at work now :( can't check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. carpenike

carpenike Member

3. raileon

raileon Active Member

The docs also confirm it requires 200-240v.

http://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/4U60-Storage-Enclosure-DS.pdf

4. carpenike

carpenike Member

5. mrseth1

mrseth1 New Member

Anyone else think this is a scam? Both listings look identical and one seller has 0 feedback.

6. raileon

raileon Active Member

A scam in what way?

If it is a scam I have 140 lbs worth of bricks coming early next week according to the tracking number :)

pgh5278 likes this.
  7. raileon

raileon Active Member

That's interesting. The one time I accidentally tried to power up a psu that only took 200+ with 120 I got no reaction from it.

8. mrseth1

mrseth1 New Member

Nice. Thanks for the confirmation. Although the listing has the weight at 93lbs, lol.

9. raileon

raileon Active Member

No problem. No idea why there is such a big difference in weight but FedEx has it at 140.4.

Also the shipper is iXsystems. Definitely the type of company that would buy these just for the hard drives.

darkconz likes this.
  10. carpenike

carpenike Member

I do think it's the same seller who is using two accounts for some reason...

11. czl

czl New Member

I asked the seller "Can you confirm these will run from NORMAL California AC outlets like most people have in their homes." their reply was "You are in luck. Each server has two power supplies, which are auto ranging. And supplied are 2 110v power cords. If you had 240v you could use that if you have the adapters. Yes you can plug them into a normal 110v outlet." HOWEVER today I get no response at all the unit I am testing using my home California 110v power. :-( Anyone have theirs working on v110? I have one HD inside but no compatible adapter card. Is an adapter card required for it to power up? My test unit appears dead -- no power draw at all from the wall.

ps. Something else that worries me manual section that says: "The SEP examines the Inquiry data of all attached drives to determine if they are a supported type. If an unsupported device is attached to the 4U60 Storage Enclosure, it will not be available to access." and in the list are only UltraStar drives! -> Can someone confirm theirs is working with HDD from other brands?

"Reached out to the seller and he said they're confused by the documentation as well. The systems come with 110v cables and they powered them up / performed basic testing with no problems."

12. ecosse

ecosse Active Member

That was my worry - see the start of the thread.
    I bought a couple from the UK seller. I've only really started using one. So far my Western Digital Red 3TB and 4Tb drives work fine. So do Toshiba 3Tb and 4TB drives. However, I have tried a Seagate 2TB SATA drive and that isn't appearing in Windows so far. I've not had time to try another one but the drive works fine using a normal SATA drive interface. I'm using a HP H240 - I suppose it could be that?
    Btw my Areca raid card didn't detect any drives (it did see the enclosure) but I haven't updated the firmware for a while so that could be it.

Bottom line - you may need to take your chances but since it is a pretty future proof purchase worst case position it for future disk hosting?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  13. CyberSkulls

CyberSkulls Active Member

Looks like the shipping went up by $75. I wrote the seller to see if they would still do the original $99 shipping. I'd pick up a couple and get rid of all my SM846 chassis because I'm silly and want one of these really damn bad for some unknown reason. So if your gonna get one, might as well buy a second and build a complete backup.

I'm concerned about the 110 power as well since some say they power up while others can't get them to power on. Makes me a little nervous.

14. carpenike

carpenike Member

I'll know by the end of the week.

I'm replacing a Norco 4224 with a Supermicro motherboard and an Intel SAS expander. Planning to sell that and hopefully come out ahead.

My new server room in my basement is still under construction and if I need a 240v line I can still do it. Would just require me to buy a bunch more gear; UPS, PDU, etc. Hoping for the best.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

15. Gene

Gene Active Member

I dont need this either but it would be a nice piece of equipment vs the sc846. I just cant think of needing that many 6 and 8tb disks. But i do want one hah.. i mean i even have 240v already

16. CyberSkulls

I was just looking at it from the perspective of being able to not only sell all my 846 chassis but most likely my 42U rack as well. I like my chassis but I could reclaim a lot of floor space and clean up my computer room considerably with something like this.

The only advantage I have now with my 846 chassis is availability of spare parts such as a backplane going out. Readily available on eBay. Not so sure about how we would go about replacing these when they fail.

17. Gene

Gene Active Member

Makes sense. I wonder how much I could get for a SC846 with sata 2 backplane and an extra 702p quiet power supply in addition the two 1kw ones. Seems like i could get within spitting distance

18. CyberSkulls

That was my thought. The seller on eBay with zero feedback which were thinking is the same person with two accounts wrote me back and said the ones he's selling will not run on 110. That kinda blows, I'm not running a 220 line just for storage servers :(

19. Gene

Gene Active Member

How close is your fuse panel? Mine was about 30 feet. It literally took me two hours and about $50 in materials to run a 240v 12-3 line into an outlet from a dipole. Most of that was spent running the electric cable. Now finding a 240v ups would also be a concern though. Could get expensive

20. CyberSkulls

Mine might be 50ft and everything is ran through the attic so easily accessible but your right, then PDU's, UPS.. just to add a big ass storage chassis. Not sure if it's worth it to me. Cause some day we will see deals on 90 bay supermicros and be like holy hell we need that!! Haha

pgh5278 likes this.