HGST 4TB Touro Desktop External Drive $169.99 (limit 2) Amazon.com

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Any experience pulling these and RMA on the internal drives? Might be a great option for folks.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
I happen to know they will not honor warranty for a bare drive removed from one of these, they do have a database that tracks serial# of drive to serial# of enclosure.

However if you don't go caveman when you open it up and use some care then you can just keep the enclosure in the garage in case you ever did need to RMA. One of the other threads here has a step-by-step with photos detailing how to do these.

Cost/GB is excellent on this - especially considering its Hitachi which is the pinnacle of 5-platter tech. Cost-per-space equivalency to $127.50 for a 3TB drive meaning the usual premium on the 4TB form factor is absent in this price.

However if you're strapped due to holiday shopping fear not because there will be a glut of 4TB offerings in 2013, with at least one 1.33TB/platter form factor among them (Seagate if I remember my source's info), and prices WILL come down. Also at least one 5TB offering before 2013's end.

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
they need to keep it SAS. Sata is junk for this size drive. unless sata has some sort of new IOEDC/2-BIT IOECC or extended sector sizes for more ecc.

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
Just opened my first one. There are 10 tabs you need to break to open one side of the enclosure. I don't see any way of opening this without breaking tabs. The tabs are connected to the lid, and slide into a rectangle holder on the fat body, with the catch on the inside, not the outside. Can't even shim all 10 tabs to open it gracefully if you wanted to. Trying to disengage the catch on the opposing side from the inside was a failure, there's no slack/give. I don't think there's a way to non-destructively opening these.