HGST 10TB SAS 4Kn HDDs for $150. OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
my batch is around 200Tb to 380Tb written for up to 27k hours.

Disks have small reads so they were used for sure for archives / backups

I will test them now.
That's a lot of mileage.

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
yes i expected a bit less...
I will using them in a zfs (mirror + stripping) so i will have redundancy.

At this time they (4x 10Tb) will replace Seagate SAS drives (8x 3Tb) from 2012. Theses have huge power on hours (but very low read/writes compared to the 10 tb ones)

The future will say if it was a good decision or not.

Reactions: Fritz

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
Had another "exciting" issue with these the other day... I have 8 in a Supermicro SC836 with the SAS2 backplane and an LSI SAS2308 HBA, along with 8 3TB SATA Toshibas, in two RAID6 arrays. My monthly RAID scrub cron job kicked off and put both arrays into scrub mode and the 8TB drives started dropping out of the system one by one with a lot of nasty task abort errors in dmesg. I paused the scrub on the 3TB drives and the 8TB drives became accessible again. I updated the firmware on the SAS controller to the latest (P20, I believe I had P14) and now it seems to be fine.

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
Got some more drives from kl0 only 57tb written but these don't show the power on time that's 3 drives now that do that is that something to be worried about?

llowrey

Feb 26, 2018
I bought a bunch from kl0, got them about 2 weeks ago, and all show power on time and report aprox 2.5 years. If running linux, are you running 'smartctl -x'?

ipreferpie

May 27, 2018
Got an HGST 10TB drive from kl0 and it just died. Started throwing our SMART errors and had to pull my drive out. I initially ran an extended SMART test with preclear on unRAID 10 days ago and it was fine. But it died so quickly. Asked for a refund so I'll see how that pans out

llowrey

Feb 26, 2018
Got an HGST 10TB drive from kl0 and it just died. Started throwing our SMART errors and had to pull my drive out. I initially ran an extended SMART test with preclear on unRAID 10 days ago and it was fine. But it died so quickly. Asked for a refund so I'll see how that pans out
Yikes. Sorry to hear that.

Incidentally, I had all sorts of trouble initially and it was due to power brownouts. Turns out these drive draw heavily on the 5V line and my wiring from the PS to the backplanes wasn't able to handle the load. I re-arranged the wiring to pull fewer amps per line and my drive issues went away. The drives pull (peak) 0.8A on the 5V line while the SATA drives they replaced only drew 0.25A. I also discovered that it's almost impossible to find a regular ATX power supply that can deliver more than 25A at 5V, which is just barely enough to allow me to max out a 24 drive chassis.

ipreferpie

May 27, 2018
Yikes. Sorry to hear that.

Incidentally, I had all sorts of trouble initially and it was due to power brownouts. Turns out these drive draw heavily on the 5V line and my wiring from the PS to the backplanes wasn't able to handle the load. I re-arranged the wiring to pull fewer amps per line and my drive issues went away. The drives pull (peak) 0.8A on the 5V line while the SATA drives they replaced only drew 0.25A. I also discovered that it's almost impossible to find a regular ATX power supply that can deliver more than 25A at 5V, which is just barely enough to allow me to max out a 24 drive chassis.
Good call on the wiring issue. Might have to check it out. I'm currently using the 920P-SQ PSU in my SM 836 chassis filled to 100% with all SATA drives except for the single HGST SAS that failed. Basically I have 4x molex connectors powering the SAS2 backplane running at (0.25A x 15 + 0.8A = 4.55A).

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Good call on the wiring issue. Might have to check it out. I'm currently using the 920P-SQ PSU in my SM 836 chassis filled to 100% with all SATA drives except for the single HGST SAS that failed. Basically I have 4x molex connectors powering the SAS2 backplane running at (0.25A x 15 + 0.8A = 4.55A).
I have the same setup except I have 6 SAS drives in the mix and zero issues. It's been running for years. I doubt your problem is the PSU. If you think it is you could always add a second PSU.