HGST 10TB SAS 4Kn HDDs for $150. OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Too bad they removed the serial number as 2017 drives should still be under warranty too, but I couldn't check it. :(

spanky34

May 5, 2016
Chiming in to say I got (4) at $130/ea. Seems to be the seller's bottom dollar for lowish quantities.

Reactions: Samir

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
at this price it's cheaper than the 10TB easystore from bestbuy isn't it? and these are 7200RPM SAS enterprise drives... just a little used, but that doesn't shake me at all considering HGST's reputation for durability and reliability.

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
Yeah, I bought 2 at $135 each. Not a bad deal in my opinion. I'd love to pick up a few more, but I shouldn't, lol.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
at this price it's cheaper than the 10TB easystore from bestbuy isn't it? and these are 7200RPM SAS enterprise drives... just a little used, but that doesn't shake me at all considering HGST's reputation for durability and reliability.
Yep, they are! And I'm right there with you on the reliability--these should last as long if not longer than easystore drives.

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
Do these run hot and loud? I'm tempted too, but not sure if my already crammed chassis with limited air flow is suitable for these.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
ya know, from looking at the low res photo, it looks like the drive might be from Europe. so the RMA process probably wouldn't work with HGST

I had a slightly older 6TB drive that was apparently from Europe, and dead. I emailed HGST/WD support and asked them ever so nicely if I could transfer the registration/warranty from Europe to the US so I could get it fixed without shipping it to Europe. After a bit of back and forth they were able to RMA it for me.

and based on the older6TB drive.. .yeah they get pretty hot. like 55C when just sitting on a test bench with no air running over them.

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
My 8x10TB drives from the other seller arrived. 7 drives have close to 27k hours, one has 19k. Gigabytes written and read varies wildly, one of them (not the low hours one) has only 8.5TB written and 1.5TB read. The one with the most usage has 475TB written and 35TB read. Most were manufactured in mid-2016 except one that was in w2 2017. Only one reads as having a valid serial on the HGST warranty checker, but it says to contact the JBOD manufacturer. The rest come up as an invalid serial number. I knew that going in though, and the seller (kl0 on ebay) offers their own warranty.
There was initially some screwiness but it turned out the SGI enclosure was only linking up at 3Gbps. Some power cycling and cable unplugging/replugging cleared that up; I'm not sure what was going on. Once they've had a few badblocks passes and I have data moved onto them I'll swap them into a Supermicro chassis where I expect cooling to be much less of an issue. They do in fact run hot, all 50-60C under load. There's not much airflow over them in that enclosure though as none of the other drive slots were populated and it's one I swapped low-noise (read: low-airflow) fans into; I've put some dummy drives in the other slots to try and force some air to actually move over the drives. As I type the comment out I see the ones that were at 60C have dropped to 56C. Not exactly cold but it's better than it was. I can't tell if they're loud or not over the other equipment in the rack. They sure do take their sweet time to spin up, 30 seconds after power-on to present a block device.

Edit: Now that it's been a few hours, the spread is 47-52C. Still not as cool as I'd like but it goes to show what a big difference a tiny amount of airflow makes.

Last edited:
Reactions: altano and Samir

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
My 8x10TB drives from the other seller arrived. 7 drives have close to 27k hours, one has 19k. Gigabytes written and read varies wildly, one of them (not the low hours one) has only 8.5TB written and 1.5TB read. The one with the most usage has 475TB written and 35TB read. Most were manufactured in mid-2016 except one that was in w2 2017. Only one reads as having a valid serial on the HGST warranty checker, but it says to contact the JBOD manufacturer. The rest come up as an invalid serial number. I knew that going in though, and the seller (kl0 on ebay) offers their own warranty.
There was initially some screwiness but it turned out the SGI enclosure was only linking up at 3Gbps. Some power cycling and cable unplugging/replugging cleared that up; I'm not sure what was going on. Once they've had a few badblocks passes and I have data moved onto them I'll swap them into a Supermicro chassis where I expect cooling to be much less of an issue. They do in fact run hot, all 50-60C under load. There's not much airflow over them in that enclosure though as none of the other drive slots were populated and it's one I swapped low-noise (read: low-airflow) fans into; I've put some dummy drives in the other slots to try and force some air to actually move over the drives. As I type the comment out I see the ones that were at 60C have dropped to 56C. Not exactly cold but it's better than it was. I can't tell if they're loud or not over the other equipment in the rack. They sure do take their sweet time to spin up, 30 seconds after power-on to present a block device.

Edit: Now that it's been a few hours, the spread is 47-52C. Still not as cool as I'd like but it goes to show what a big difference a tiny amount of airflow makes.
Damn I got some from that same seller one has 200+tb written and don't show power on hours in hard disk sentinel good to have that 1 year warranty lol

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
Well I ended up picking up a total of 7 of these and some have 20TB written and some have 200TB written. Still a good deal in my opinion. I just hope they last, lol. I may have to pick up just one more as a spare in case one fails....

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
my batch is around 200Tb to 380Tb written for up to 27k hours.

Disks have small reads so they were used for sure for archives / backups

I will test them now.