HGST 100GB SAS SSD HUSSL4010BSS600 at 40usd

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
i have a SM MB X10SL7-F with sata/sas control onboard. what kind of cables would i need to hook up these drives to it? I dont have the mb in a server case so no hot swap cages, etc..

Last edited:

PithyChats

Feb 3, 2015
man i should have order last night, there like 52 competing offers for 5 left
Don't worry they've added more, and competing offers shows offers from all time, so right now there are probably not more than 2-3. I doesn't seem like the seller will go below $40 right now though.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Does anyone know if these drives need both sas ports connected (since its a dual port sas drive) to get the advertise speeds? Reason I'm asking is i'm trying to research a case upgrade for my freenas box and need to know if i have to plan on dual port sas or single port backplanes.

Im thinking of this case
SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- CS380

With a 5.25 bay conversion to add my hdds to it.
I may end up with 6 WD Red 8TB drives and 8 of these drives in it.

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
Does anyone know if these drives need both sas ports connected (since its a dual port sas drive) to get the advertise speeds?
I don't think the dual-porting really matters in this case. It's mostly for just for multipath purposes. With dual-ported drives you can in theory get more total bandwidth with the right kind of a setup. With 8 of those SSDs you may end up having the SAS interface as the bottleneck, but 4x 6Gbit/s is in my mind good enough for such small disks.

Look at it this way -- a LOT of the backplanes, such as the ones used in Supermicro SC846 chasses, are active-passive (one 'port' active at any given time), so it only gives you the multipathing (reliability) benefits. You should to check whether the backplane you're shopping for is active-active; I have some doubts.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
the case i listed above has 2 sata ports per hdd on the backplane and per the manual if i connect the two it will provide dual connection. But if i went with 2 per drive i would max out the onboard lsi card which only has 8 sata based connectors on it. I would need to add a second raid card to accommodate the rest of the drives.

Thus my question on speed tests, if anyone done single port vs dual port on these drives.

Aug 19, 2015
Can you guys read SMART info from these drives? Using a h200 I am not seeing very much info on mine, is that because it's an OEM drive?

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Can you guys read SMART info from these drives? Using a h200 I am not seeing very much info on mine, is that because it's an OEM drive?
It's because they are SAS drives. They display SMART data in a completely different format than SATA drives.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk