HGST 0T01343 Ultrastar 3.82TB U.2 $199 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fake-name

Feb 28, 2017
I put in for 2 as well.

Slightly concerned as the listing says they ship, but the auction is set up as local pickup only. We'll see.

Reactions: Samir

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
is it possible to size these to 3.2 to gain more DWPD?
If you create a partition of less than the entire size, the crontroller should automatically spread the wear out, meaning it should give you more writes for the given partition size.

So if you have a 3.8GB drive with 0.5 DWPD and you create a partition of 1.9GB you should get around 1DWPD :) - But only if you do not repartition to the full size at some point. There are no magic involved - just endurance and how you spread it across the size.

Psycho_Robotico

Nov 23, 2014
Thanks for the deal! Are there any low cost options in terms of U.2 chassis/jbod for attaching a bunch of those drives?

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
I put in for 2 as well.

Slightly concerned as the listing says they ship, but the auction is set up as local pickup only. We'll see.
Mine was shipped. Took maybe a week? Very well packed, actually over packed for 2 drives.

DarthCirrus

Dec 12, 2022
Not really - and you would need a massive amount of pcie lanes to use such a chassis anyway :)
I’m curious as well - massive amount of pcie lanes, check - (Threadripper pro) chassis to put them in, unclear…

would appreciate knowing what even some of the moderate priced options are for like 8+ U2 bays…

geonap

Mar 2, 2021
If you create a partition of less than the entire size, the crontroller should automatically spread the wear out, meaning it should give you more writes for the given partition size.

So if you have a 3.8GB drive with 0.5 DWPD and you create a partition of 1.9GB you should get around 1DWPD :) - But only if you do not repartition to the full size at some point. There are no magic involved - just endurance and how you spread it across the size.
this is not the same as the method that the manufacturers sometimes allow with their tools though, right? this is purely under provisioning.

thanks

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
A few simple questions:

1. What is the durability of these drives? From 0.8 DWD, I calculated ~3.5PB, which seems quite low.
2. What is the advantage of this drive over a consumer grade NVME? Its IOPS numbers do not looks substantially better.

triples

Nov 2, 2019
A few simple questions:

1. What is the durability of these drives? From 0.8 DWD, I calculated ~3.5PB, which seems quite low.
2. What is the advantage of this drive over a consumer grade NVME? Its IOPS numbers do not looks substantially better.
The SN100 model has a 3.2tb version (20% OP) of 3 DWPD. This one must be the same drive with 7% OP / 3.82tb capacity and reduced endurance of 0.8 DWPD. You could lock the NS to 3.2tb and re-gain 3 DWPD. Also the endurance of enterprise drive is rated as host write on pure 4K random pattern. For sequential write, the NAND can take 4-5 times more than the rated host write.

There are a lot of discussions on whether to use enterprise SSD on a PC. The consumer SSDs utilize SLC cache and the performance within cache is quite good, as long as the application doesn't do extensive data write. Even that I like the PLP of enterprise SSD better.

Reactions: UhClem and Samir

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
The SN100 model has a 3.2tb version (20% OP) of 3 DWPD. This one must be the same drive with 7% OP / 3.82tb capacity and reduced endurance of 0.8 DWPD. You could lock the NS to 3.2tb and re-gain 3 DWPD.
Yes, definitely a scenario where a namespace is the right approach (vs cramping your style via partitioning). I'm curious, couldn't you. on occasion (in a pinch) set up the 0.6T balance in a second NS, but always do a virginize (and NS2 delete) after?

@triples, thanks again for posting that D7-5510 3.8T deal back in the summer--my only 2 U.2s (along with about a dozen M.2s, SK Hynix P31, P41).

Last edited:
Reactions: triples and Samir

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
this is not the same as the method that the manufacturers sometimes allow with their tools though, right?
Its similar - the manufacturers just have the capability to change the reported size of the drive - at the end of the day it should not matter whether or not its a 2TB drive changed by the manufacturer to be presented as a 1TB drive or it is yourself that only creates a partition of 1TB on a 2TB drive.