Here's a $1.3k switch for you: 18x 40Gig QSFP and 40x 10gig SFP+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
My notes say it's something like "slot 0 port-type 5 ten". That'd break the 40 Gbps port 0/5 into 10 Gbps 0/5, 0/6, 0/7, 0/8.

Gene_Z

Sep 29, 2016
Hi Anyone attempted to get port mirroring (monitor) to work ?

i tried
GNOS(config)# monitor session 1 source interface Ethernet 0/53
GNOS(config)# monitor session 1 destination interface Ethernet 0/72

result is
GNOS# sh monitor all
Session : 1
-------
Source Ports
Rx : Eth0/53
Destination Ports : Eth0/72
Unfortunately i don't see mirrored traffic on 0/72 interface.

Surprisingly when i reload the switch i see about 5 packets coming through, which lends me to believe there is some sort of feature i need to shut off in order for mirroring to work.

Please Help,
Thanks in advance

OpticalTransceiver

Nov 9, 2016
Ha! Well I think I read the specs earlier and they were like 160-170w typical and 1.6w/ port (or something like that). Not too bad. I do see dual power supplies so that would make me slightly nervous.

You should see how I have been doing on some of the enterprise buys lately. 55-60% of list price wins a lot of time on manual review.

BTW - the $1300 seller did not take $750 I was told by a reader.

I have something like 17 or 18 flights in the next 15 days otherwise I would be inclined to pick one up.
If it is a Class 1 10G SFP+ port, the power consumption can be typical under 1.5w. But if you are concerned about the power consumption, we have supplier a lot to HW of SFP Single mode 10km reach on typical 1w or lower to 0.8w. For Multi mode 300m reach it could be lower than 0.7w.

Reactions: Simian

doop

Jan 16, 2015
Okay are there any other cheap ways to bridge the Gnodal with my 1000BASE-T network? I guess I could put a Linux box in-between, but that sounds slow and wasteful.

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
Okay are there any other cheap ways to bridge the Gnodal with my 1000BASE-T network? I guess I could put a Linux box in-between, but that sounds slow and wasteful.
For connect the gnodal to my 1G networks, i bought a LB4M switch.
The LB4M has 2 SFP+ 10Gb/s ports and 24 RJ45-Gigabit

I connected 2 DAC cables between the Gnodal and the LB4M
and configured a LACP trunk from theses 2 ports.

That give a trunk of 20 Gb/s to the Gnodal for serve 24 Gigabit ports.

You may have better alternative to the LB4M (this switch is loud but not as much as the Gnodal)
it's not so easy to configure, but the LB4M is very inexpensive (for a used one, less than 100$ on ebay if i'm right)

Reactions: doop

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Whats the power usage on the Gnodal ? I have seen the earlier specs but nobody ever provided actual number i think.
And also, whats the power usage on the LB4M if you happen to know it?

csmz

Jan 28, 2015
Whats the power usage on the Gnodal ? I have seen the earlier specs but nobody ever provided actual number i think.
And also, whats the power usage on the LB4M if you happen to know it?
We have been running these for quite some time now, I can only say that with Finisar SFP+, they are about 150 W with a bunch of ports used. So its not too bad given the extreme performance these puppies put out. No QFSP experience.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
We have been running these for quite some time now, I can only say that with Finisar SFP+, they are about 150 W with a bunch of ports used. So its not too bad given the extreme performance these puppies put out. No QFSP experience.
QSFP+ is not much more per port.

Doug Dumitru

Jun 6, 2017
I have been lurking on this thread for some time and want to thank everyone. I just took delivery of a GS0018 ($900 ebay) and wanted to post some notes.

a) Firmware: I did upgrade this. The "tar file" that is posted to google docs must be extracted to a TFTP server. In it is another tar file plus and md5 checksum file. If you just use the main tar file, the file uploads, but the firmware doesn't update.

b) Noise: I am able to get this tolerable by unplugging two fans. You can monitor temps with "show env all". My temp went from 30C to 31C at idle.
b1) Looking at the layout, I suspect an active "chip fan" on top of the main CPU would probably keep it cool and really quiet things down. One PWM fan or blower there might be the trick. I will post if I am brave enough to try it.

c) 10 Gbit ports: The "slot" command described elsewhere does work with a few notes:
c1) You can run it more than once during a single session to switch multiple ports.
c2) You have to reboot after you run this to actually get the ports. Use "show interfaces status" to see that it worked.
c3) The new ports will not be a part of any vlan, so you need to add them.
c4) I have used these with a Brocade 5M fan out cable ($32 ebay china) and it seems to work well.

My config is in a lab and is very simple, but I must thank everyone for their help.

Doug Dumitru

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
a) Firmware: I did upgrade this. The "tar file" that is posted to google docs must be extracted to a TFTP server. In it is another tar file plus and md5 checksum file. If you just use the main tar file, the file uploads, but the firmware doesn't update.
hi @all

have anyone the firmare 2.6.4 for ths GS4018 ?

have some trouble with Connect-x3 eth adapters.

got then from another thread here in the forum .

Last edited:

HawkJ

Sep 24, 2020
Hi @All, Does anyone have firmware 2.6.1? I would be so greatful if you could pull the firmware from a working switch with 2.6.1. Its stored on the SD card.