Help with Supermicro X9DRH-iTH - POST code 32

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jkn

Apr 3, 2021
Hi All
This is my first post here - apologies that it is basically a motherboard/CPU question, but there seems to be a lot of Supermicro knowledge here...

I have recently bought an old-ish Supermicro server - my first 'actual server' - for 'Home Server' type experiments. I am planning on replacing an HP Microserver and an ML110 Gen7. The server is a 2U chassis with 12-bay backplane, is very clean and has hardly been used I think.. The motherboard is an X8DRH-iTF, with a SAS9211-4i HBA.

I have had this running and gone into the BIOS etc. I fitted a small SATA SSD drive and have installed Ubuntu server etc. I then started playing with the fans a bit, using info on this forums and elsewhere on the IPMITOOL and allied utilities. All this was fine - until...

I am now consistently getting a POST error with code 32. The AMI BIOS guide from SMC says "CPU post-memory initialization is started" for this code.

As I say, I have had the unit running fine - I initially got a different POST error (B0?) but after reseating the DRAM everything seemed fine.

The motherboard has one CPU - Xeon E5-2640 V2 - and 40GB of DDR3 (2off 16GB, 2off 4GB) fitted. As part of trying to fix the problem I have done the following:

- replaced the CMOS Battery and cleared the CMOS via the jumper pad
- removed, cleaned and refitted the CPU. All the lands look OK, and the CPU socket also looks fine (I have some electronics skills)
- Removed and cleaned the DRAM. I have tried fitting only one pair of sticks (tried both the 16GB pair and the 4GB pair), in the correct sockets I am sure. No sign or damage on the DIMMs or sockets.
- removed my SATA SSD and the HBE, to have as little as possible fitted
- connected to the IPMI port and looked at the IPMI logs; I know very little about IPMI but can only see info on the chassis intrusion switch. With the POST error I am unable to get into the BIOS

The Description for POST code 0x32 - "CPU post-memory initialization is started" - sounds like a memory problem, but having done my swapping etc. I am thinking that trying a new CPU might be my next step. But it does seem strange for the CPU to go 'just like that', after very little use.

So I'm really just posting to ask if there is anything I might have missed, or something else I could try before a new CPU?

Oh - any suggestions about a lower TDP processor that might work well in this Motherboard? I am hoping to trim the power consumption down at some point.

Thanks a lot from the UK
Jon N

"CPU

sth-n00b

Sep 30, 2020
I have almost the same board, a X9DRH-7TF, and never seen this code. What kind of memory modules do you use? I always use ECC RDIMMS. For the processor, all Xeon E5-26xy v1 and v2 do work in this board so you can go as low as 2620 v1 and as high as 2697 v2.

jkn

Apr 3, 2021
Hi there - thanks for your reply. I have actually sent my processor and RAM off to an acquaintance for testing in his server, so I can't quote chapter and verse on the type of RAM. It was all working though, is the main puzzle.

Thanks for the info about processor use. I can see that the prices vary a lot eg. for the lower TDP ones, I will have to keep an eye on those if/when I find out what is wrong...