Help with SuperMicro fans - solved

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Defcon1

Aug 18, 2016
Trying to replace the stock fans in a SC846 chassis. I got the fans out of the housing but can't release the 4 pin connectors. Is the latch supposed to release and how do I do so?

I've tried pressing on it from different angles and don't want to break it. What's the way to do this?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Use a small screwdriver to pry it out. Just takes a bit of pressure. They are pretty tough, you are unlikely to break them (though I guess they can break). You are likely to have the latch flying across the room when it comes out. I've disassembled several dozen SM fan cases and never had one break.

Defcon1

Aug 18, 2016
I was able to open the rear fan connector. Can you tell me which end to apply the screwdriver to for the mid chassis fan? (the left one in 1st pic)? The open side? There seems to be a lever to lift it up but it doesn't go up?

Mark Stevens

Mar 5, 2018
Trying to replace the stock fans in a SC846 chassis. I got the fans out of the housing but can't release the 4 pin connectors. Is the latch supposed to release and how do I do so?

I've tried pressing on it from different angles and don't want to break it. What's the way to do this?
How did you get these fans out of the housing? I tried but they are in there tight and have no screws to hold them in place.