Help with SM X9DRD-LF not booting

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HorizonXP

May 23, 2016
Just picked up a new set of parts from eBay and STH. I already have an existing SM X9DRD-iF (note the difference between my iF and new LF) setup.

Existing parts:
Chenbro 1U case
SM X9DRD-iF mobo
2x E5-2660 CPUs
128GB of DDR3 ECC RAM @ 1333Mhz

New parts:
SM 825 2U case
SM X9DRD-LF mobo
2x E5-2660 CPUs
64GB of DDR3 ECC RAM @ 1066Mhz

I've swapped parts between these setups in a bunch of combinations to try to figure out why the new system won't boot, since the failure could be anywhere in the new parts.

- I put new RAM and new CPUs into new mobo in new case, it doesn't boot
- I put old system into new case, and it partially boots (I didn't mount it securely, so that might have been the problem)
- I put the old system back into old case, and it boots fine.
- I put new RAM into old system, boots fine.
- I then put the new CPUs into the old system, one at a time, and it boots fine both times.
- I put old CPUs and old RAM into new mobo and case, it doesn't boot

Oddly, I can access the IPMI web interface on the new mobo in all cases, but since I don't have the password, I can't login. Most online posts state you need to boot and run SM's ipmicfg tool, but I cannot do that. Clearing the CMOS by removing the battery and shorting the clear CMOS leads didn't seem to reset the password to defaults.

My last thought is to try replacing the CMOS battery.

I'm going to open an issue with the eBay seller in the meantime, but are there any suggestions here for what I could try?

Thanks!

EDIT: Swapping CMOS battery also had no effect.

Last edited: