Help with selecting RAM for server board

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrjayviper

Jul 28, 2017
So I'm trying to source RAM for the board (intel) but finding exact ones as listed in their Memory compatibility chart is not that easy when you're trying to source it locally.

I've found IBM branded ECC Registered RAM (3 types: Hynix, Samsung or Micron) and it has similar timings/voltage to the one listed on the chart.

I know with desktop board, they are not as picky with RAM. But unsure when it comes to server RAM.

Thank you!

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
So I'm trying to source RAM for the board (intel) but finding exact ones as listed in their Memory compatibility chart is not that easy when you're trying to source it locally.
You have us at a disadvantage .. you know the model of the Intel board in question - we don't.

mrjayviper

Jul 28, 2017
You have us at a disadvantage .. you know the model of the Intel board in question - we don't.
my question is not for any specific server board. But in general.

It could be a supermicro (which has it's own memory compatibility list) or intel and etc.

As I said above, desktop board has it's own memory compatibility list but I believe desktop board are more forgiving when it comes to RAM it will accept.

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Ok .., "in general", those chip manufacturers are the ones I'd look for.
They "generally" work fine.

I typically use the motherboard model number to look up specs for required memory.

If the motherboard MFG does not have a memory compatibility list,
check the memory MFG for a compatibility list for the same motherboard.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Server mainboards are also not picky.

Intel (and others) publish compatility lists for support/troubleshooting with "well known configurations".

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Server boards can sometimes be twitchy when it comes to RAM, but not really any more so than a consumer desktop board. As others have mentioned, buying compatible RAM from any of the "big three" brands that you listed will more often than not be perfectly fine, providing you stick to the RAM spec as listed in your mainboard manual of course. Most of the problems I see when folks have RAM issues, apart from the odd occasion where they have ordered completely wrong DIMM's, is when they get Speed/ Ranking mixed up when fitting them. Some mainboards will only support certain Speed/ Rank sizes fitted in specific slots or perhaps have a max DIMM density limitation when using certain Speed/ Rankings. Again your mainboard manual has the answers for your particular requirements. If all else fails you, the information on which RAM will work properly, is often available from both the mainboard manufacturer's website and those of the various RAM distributors :)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
In general if you match the type, speed etc any memory from HP,IBM,dell will work in just about anything including supermicro, ASRock rack, gigabyte, etc