Help with Raid card - LSI SAS 9266-8i

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

van35

Jan 10, 2022
Here is my situation. I have a Dell R720xd using the LSI 9266-8i for the rear backplane drives. They were (2) 500GB SSD in Raid 1 and used to store the Proxmox OS and all of the VM's. I use a separate card in IT mode for ZFS storage using the front drives. I am now running out of space on the SSD OS drives and was planning to upgrade them to (2) 2TB SSD Raid 1. I was able to accomplish this by taking one drive offline and installing the larger drive, let it rebuild and then did the same with the second drive. This was successful and I was then able to expand the size of the virtual drive. Then I realized I wasn't able to find an easy way to expand the partition in Proxmox without deleting the data.

My goal now is to use a Raid card in IT mode and put the 2TB drives into a ZFS pool and use that with a new install or proxmox. My question is, will I be able to remove the current 2TB drives from the backplane and reinsert the original 500GB drives and have the raid card recognize those drives from the previous Raid and allow me to boot Proxmox? It's my understanding that the raid config is saved on the drives and not the controller. If so, is there a specific process I should do to get them to work? Take both of the 2TB drives offline and then install the 500GB drives?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.